Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Bendix Front joint axle overhaul
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bendix Front joint axle overhaul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mjp83

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Bendix Front joint axle overhaul Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a 1952 M38, and as I am rebuilding the driver front axle knuckle I realized there was much knuckle grease in my axle tube. I searched several ordinance manuals and see a washer (marked V) on the diagrams. I do not appear to have this washer in my axle tube side.

Also my M38 Bendix axle shaft does not have threads nor a snap ring key at the drive flange end, so how does the joint get indexed and run at the proper spacing? The passenger side received a spicer joint and has the snap ring groove. It seems there are bushings w flanges that keep it fairly tight, maybe 1/8” play? Was this a design upgrade over the CJ2A?

Thanks
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let's establish the actual history of these axles:

Then the end play is maintained per these statements in TM 9-1804B M38 Powertrain, Body & Frame Maintenance Manual:

Note the spicer joint is not illustrated in the M38 ORD 9 (1955), only the Bendix & Rzeppa. The spicer also does not show up in the M38A1 ORD 9 (1956) and first shows up in the Feb 1962 Civilian CJ5, CJ3B IPL serialized to the 1961 models. Neither my 62 or 67 CJ5 parts list show the breakdown of the spicer joint. They only show the assembled joints and list available parts kit for the spicer joint.

If you do not already have this manual, GET ONE QUICK, It is an awesome backup to all three M38 Maintenance manuals.

What I really like about this manual in addition to its much more defined service procedures is it covers the CJ's for 1946 thru 1965.

I posted the majority of the manual here: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album71&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Front axle chapter here: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album90&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

This should answer all of your questions and this material is all in my photo album in "Member's Albums" the second album. I suggest you always peruse there before asking questions out here on the board. You will still have questions to ask here but they will be more pointed and informed.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Mjp83

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Wes!
You confirmed my suspicion that the axle shaft was indeed redesigned for our axles, and that there is supposed to be a thrust washer between the axle shaft and bronze collar in the axle tube, as I saw this in TM 9-18048B. If I can not locate this, I will just purchase the spicer style axle. Good news, the short passenger axle shaft is a spicer production.

Thank you for posting the red covered manual, I will try to locate one, but did see your additional manuals in your photo album and under downloads.
Pierre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mjp83, I have quite a few NOS brass bushings with flange. Contact me in private if you're interested.

Cheers

full restoration in progress
1952 M38 MC60228
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a price to pay for using the late 60's vintage spicer joint. You must re-adjust your steering stops on the knuckles to match the smaller amount of turn angle now available. Doesn't make a big issue on the highway but when driving tight off road trails you will quickly notice the wider increase in your turning circle!

You can download 11 out of the 21 chapters from my photo album. All the photos I posted above are the mid-sized photos. If you open them in my album and click on the thumbnail once you get the mid sized one and twice you get the full size one.

Quote:
Willys/Kaiser Factory Service Manual SM 1002 Rev 5 covering 1946 thru 1965.

Chapters: In my photo album are: D, F, I, J, K, M, N, P, Q, S, U, that is 11 out of 21 chapters.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: