Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Axle Castle Nut Removal Troubles
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Axle Castle Nut Removal Troubles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
labmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Axle Castle Nut Removal Troubles Reply with quote

Hello, I'm trying to remove a broken rear axle from my M38 with a D44. I removed the wheel and the dust cap, but when I'm trying to remove the castle nut, it just spins with the axle, so I can't get any torque on it. This makes me think that I'm doing something wrong because the manuals just say to remove it.

I've also watched a video of someone removing the nut with an impact gun, while I'm just using a breaker bar. Is using an impact gun necessary? Or are there any tips and tricks to getting this done with hand tools?

Thanks for any advice.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something very odd about your rear axle tapered section. There is suppose to be a keyway in it and a key that slides in the slot of the axle taper and the hub taper. When you try to turn the axle nut the hub/drum should turn as well leaving you with a need to hold the drum still while you remove the nut. Did you forget to install the key last time?

Item M above is the key.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
labmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry, I wasn't clear with my initial post. It does spin the axle and the hub/drum.

The problem is that I need to hold the drum while removing the nut, as you said. Do you have any recommendations on how to hold the drum while removing the nut? I'm thinking I could try clamping the drum to the backing plate, but I don't think that'll do a good enough job holding it in. I was able to wedge another breaker bar against the lug bolts, but couldn't get enough leverage to loosen it. I thought I must have been doing something wrong, but if it's just difficult to get off, then I'll probably give that another shot. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

Also, I saw those pictures in the TM, and it makes it seem like the angled section of the key should be pointing up, whereas everyone else seems to say that it should be facing the center of the axle. This is also what is shown in the M38A1 TM. Am I just looking at that picture wrong?

Also, I don't think these hub have been removed since 1970, about 30 years before I was born
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit old fashion. When I need to take an axle nut loose I take care of breaking it loose while the tire is still on and setting on the ground!

And to answer your earlier question. Yes the impact gun has a tremendous edge over the breaker bar.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
labmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay great, I'll try it today with the wheel still on. That's a great idea.

I also might have to get myself a cordless impact wrench, depending on how difficult it is to remove. It'll probably also help tremendously with other aspect of my jeep rebuild.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impact guns are great for removing stubborn fasteners but they can also easily break a bolt or stud if you do not still apply penetrant and allow soaking time. Quality impact guns both electric and pneumatic have a torque setting capability. Be sure to always start removals or installations with the lower torque setting.

labmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, getting the wheels on the ground did the trick!

I bought the wrong puller for the hub though, so I'll need to wait for a new one to come in
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: