Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Battery Issues M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery Issues M38A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mydadsjeep

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Battery Issues M38A1 Reply with quote

Every year I go to get my jeep ready for the year, it is always dead. I usually unhook the batteries from the wires and just leave them in the jeep. Sits in a garage, non heated. Yesterday I tried to light the lights and would not even turn lights on. Starting to charge the batteries again. So do I have a electrical leak? I have just put new harness on the jeep last year but still does it? Any help?
RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say what part number-type you have.
Sealed? Or the type where you have to check and add distilled water to the cells once in awhile?

Did you measure the voltage when "dead"?
A disconnected battery sitting for a year is going to lose some charge all by itself.
You said the batteries were disconnected from the harness --- so the harness is out of the picture, disconnected it can't "leak" the charge.

Batteries don't take kindly to freezing.

Suggest charging them up and take them to most any auto parts store where they'll test them with a load for free.

Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries can and will discharge over a period of time. Leaving batteries in an unused vehicle outdoors or in unheated storage facilities will accelerated these inactive discharge rates. I was raised not far from you in South Jersey, Williamstown. I had three cars when I finished high school and anytime I parked one for several months of winter my dad taught me to always pull the battery, take it to a warm area like the basement and at least once a month hook it up to a 2 amp trickle charger. Well the same applies today to both vented & unvented batteries but life is more convenient now-a-days. We have access to battery maintainers. These are much like a trickle charger but they are fully automatic and only function when the battery charge level begins to drop. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=asc_df_B000CITK8S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198093653755&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3205302709406368338&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019326&hvtargid=pla-370669784302&psc=1

A simple battery draw check is to remove the chassis negative cable from the negative post closets to frame ground or the positive cable from the positive terminal closest to the starter with all switches off and then touch the cable terminal to the battery post. If a spark jumps as it gets close to the post you have a system draw someplace in the jeep. Another way is to remove one cable and put a voltmeter in series with the disconnected circuit. While on the volt meter topic I prefer the voltmeter to the amp meter for monitoring the condition of my battery and the operating condition of my jeep's electrical charging system. You can leave the jeep completely stock and add a volt meter at the bottom edge of the dash for this purpose.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what happened.

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: