Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Rear Leaf Spring replacement problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear Leaf Spring replacement problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff_Lee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Rear Leaf Spring replacement problem Reply with quote

I bought a set of 9-leaf rear springs for my '51 restoration project, from a reputable source. They were marked "Crown A-614" so they are China repops.

One eye on each spring was small, and the other end slightly larger, but both were small compared to other replacement springs I have seen and used on my CJ2A. In the larger end was a proper M38 style of concentric metal and rubber pivot bolt bushing that accepts the 7/16" pivot bolt. The small end was too small to accept the M38 style pivot bushing, and way too small to accept the U-Shackle threaded bushings.

Is there a known problem with this Crown spring on M38's? Is there a better source for M38 rear springs where the spring eyes are properly sized??

BTW, the Crown A-612 front springs worked OK on the same M38 with the concentric metal and rubber bushing and the standard U Shackles.

Jeff
1954 Ford F-100 Parts chaser - blueprinted Y-Block
Southeast Florida
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know of anyone to date making proper M38 repop 10 & 11 leaf spring sets. The pivot bolt size has always been the big problem between the M38 and the CJ's springs. The only solution is to make the bushing fit the bolt or the bracket fit the bolt.

When not interested in restoration accuracy I have always preferred simply going to a modern aftermarket performance spring set which generally has a modern spring rate curve giving a better ride. Also they will come with hard plastic bushings and you simply adapt the hole size to the bolts used.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jeff_Lee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the modern springs use the standard Willys U Shackle, or do you have to modify the u shackle bracket?

Can you recommend a modern style spring maker or brand name?

Thanks and regards, Jeff
Southeast Florida
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shackles are usually updated straight sided H type. The 1.5" lift Rancho system would be a good choice. Modern steel spring technology results in less leaves and a better ride while retaining the needed strength.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/rancho-2-5-suspension-lift-kit-rs-cj466325k.html

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
32sbct

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, I used those exact springs on my M38. I solved the problem by having them drilled out to the correct diameter. I don't remember what it cost but it was not very expensive. So that may be an option for you.
Jeff_Lee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32sbct wrote:
Jeff, I used those exact springs on my M38. I solved the problem by having them drilled out to the correct diameter. I don't remember what it cost but it was not very expensive. So that may be an option for you.

Do you recall to what size you enlarged them? I imagine they need to be a little under sized to allow for the spring to "give" and also to allow for the bushing to cut the thread. I would just have to make a SWAG....
Jeff
Southeast Florida
32sbct

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_Lee wrote:
32sbct wrote:

Do you recall to what size you enlarged them? I imagine they need to be a little under sized to allow for the spring to "give" and also to allow for the bushing to cut the thread. I would just have to make a SWAG....
Jeff

I don't. I took them to a local machine shop and they did it. I may have taken measurements from the original springs or I may have taken shackles with me for them to measure. I do remember that they said it was not easy and they broke several drills on the spring steel.
Jeff_Lee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an update on my spring eye problems...
I took the springs to a local truck repair facility that primarily works on large trucks and diesel engines, in Athens GA. They have a general machine shop in the back that does work like driveshaft shortening, and general engine machine work.
They looked at the springs and bushings and shackles and said that they would heat the eye and attempt to press in the pivot eye bushing on one end , and resize the other end of the spring to accept the U-Shackle. They warned me in advance that if it didn't work, or the spring broke, they would not be responsible. Given my dead-end situation with these spring, I gladly agreed to proceed at my risk.
Each process required heat applied to the eye to a dull red glow, then the eye was reshaped with a piece of steel tubing that would slightly open the eye. The spring was not quenched, and allowed to cool at room temp.
After the spring cooled, the pivot bushings were pushed in with a hydraulic press. I then took the springs back to my shop and the U-shackles engaged and threaded their way home perfectly. All seams well, although I have not put the jeep back on the road yet due to other issues.
The mechanic had done similar work to leaf springs before, and had not experienced any issues with temper or localized weakness. I guess time will tell, and since this M38 is not going to be a rock climber, I think the risk/ reward proposition is acceptable.
All the best,
Jeff
Southeast Florida
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, Thanks for coming back and telling us how it went!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: