Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - My m38 update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My m38 update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill_F

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: My m38 update Reply with quote

I have the week off an have been working on the m38. It has tought me a few things along the way.
1) I am not a bad welder for my first time
2) I cant paint to save my life.

Dont let the pics fool you the paint job is not that good. It will work for now, and I can take her out off road and not worry about the paint. In a couple of years I will save up and have a professional repaint her.

So far I have most of the body work painted, just have the windshield frame and the bolt in floor panels to go. I have started running wires today, that part is going well.

Now for the questions:

I am running an civy pto and winch, how do I get the civy exhaust I bought to fit, does not want to clear the pto?

I have repro fuel lines and cant figure out how to run them, if I dont get it soon I will probably start making my own, anybody know how to run them?

Remember the front sheet metal is just a trial fitting right now. Hood has a gap but it is the same on both sides.

Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

She is really coming together. I bet that is a good feeling.

On the fuel line, it should go back toward the rear of the vehicle to just behind the fuel tank. There should be a hole in the panel about half way down to the floor pan. Through that hole and along the frame with a few clips and a clip that mounts to the fender as the line comes up a bit just past the front tub gusset. That is about where the fuel shut off valve/ T to the fuel primer pump (dash mounted) is located. Then a straight shot to the fuel/vacuum pump.

On the PTO and the exhaust - That is going to be a tight fit. If you go over to the download section, I put up a document of photos of a members PTO/winch setup. I think that will give you some ideas. If I remember right, he had to squeeze everything in. I was thinking maybe some people have routed the exhuast under the tranny crossmember, but that would not seem right. You may need to find a professional muffler shop that has tools to bend the pipes and have them help you to fit yours or make you one.

On the hood/grill, make sure you have the hood hinges mounted correctly, I don't know that you could get the grill/radiator on with the hinges mounted backwards, but just a thought.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
Most civvy winches and PTO's were Koenig. There are two different front drive Koenigs PTO's for Willys. One for the wagons and trucks and one for the universal jeep chassis. The main difference is in the indexing of the PTO to the back of the transfer case. The wagon/truck unit is shallow and spots the front drive yoke straight behind the clutch cross shaft . The universal jeep unit hangs the drive pinion lower so it passes under the cross shaft and the exhaust.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bill_F

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all my pto stuff is ramsey. Right now the pto hits the exhaust pipe. My winch shares the same mounting as the 50 just done not look anything like it. Mine is a 4000lbs winch.
m38mc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, according to the Ramsey Installation Manual in step "5" it says,
and I quote, "Saw exhaust pipe in two about three inches from manifold and saw exhaust pipe in two just behind chain case. install flexible exhaust pipe." This is for the installation of the Ramsey RX-200R Front end Winch Kit.
The Ramsey PT# for the flexible exhaust pipe is, CJ-200-13. It is 1 5/8 x 65" long.
This Installation is for the following Jeep models, CJ-3B, CJ-3A, CJ-2A,
kb1ics
m38mc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that this info is dated, 12-29-1960
kb1ics
Bill_F

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry thanks for the help. I will do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: