Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Question for those that trailer your Willys
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for those that trailer your Willys
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bretto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Xamon, new project for me to do.
theduke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
They work. The illustration is misleading though. You must use the ratchet anchors on opposite sides of the wheel or one at the front and one at the back of each wheel. You will need 8 tie down rings spaced close enough to the four wheels to make that system work.

I really don't see how you are getting your clothes dirty when tieing the axles down. If you do it correctly yo never even climb up on the trailer let alone crawl around under the jeep.

You take the chain hook and toss it over each axle about midway. Grab the hook from the back side of the axle and pull it under the axle to a trailer side tiedown just forward of the jeep on the trailer and hook it up. Go back to the other side and and fasten that hook to the trailer side tiedown just forward of the axle. Now do the same at the rear of the trailer but tie the chain to the two tie downs just aft of the axle. Now install your chain binders.

I've tied jeeps down this way since the 70's and never lost one! Wink

Note: On very bumpy roads I often screw down 4 12" 2x4's to the trailer deck just outboard of each tire to reduce lateral drift on the jeep.

I've used this method with a slight variation. Depends on your vehicle and location of your brake lines on the axle.

Chain over axle tube on one side......under carrier....back up over the other axle tube. In general...your brake lines may be in the way for this method but I like it the best.

Alternative....Chain...under axle tube...up & over Carrier...back under otherside axle tube. No brake line damage. No need to go overboard with tightening.

With either method ...your tying the axle to trailer. Suspension is free to move and your chains will NOT loosen unless a tire goes flat. Any method that attatches to Frame/lifting shackles or factory frame tie downs requires that the suspension be compressed and in a long trip should be checked Often.

On a different topic...I see refference to a 2 & 5/8 th ball hitch.

While they may exist. 2 & 5/16's is the standard 25,000 lb ( depending on Shaft size of said ball)

I've read of the 2 & 5/8 th used in some relic travel trailers and even a 3" version But have never seen a coupler to match these balls.

Tow a trailer daily in my work so not a stranger to HD hitchs .

Dan in Oregon
cabinfever

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, sounding like a novice here (which I am), but what is the "carrier?"
Steve Stark - 1955 M38A1 MD #85388

Member - MVPA #35153
Member - Red Bull Historic Military Vehicle Association
Bretto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The differential.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: