Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Got the bottom of my tubpainted and mounted this weekend!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got the bottom of my tubpainted and mounted this weekend!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Got the bottom of my tubpainted and mounted this weekend! Reply with quote

Well I have had a busy jeep weekend! Got the bottom of the tub painted and mounted on the frame. Im not so sure about my mount pads that came in the generic kit. I have asked about this before but the original pads are supposed to be 1/8' thick and the ones in the kit are 1/2" and 3/4". The kit is crap, the bolts are too long and the pads are too thick. I have it mounted up right now with the new kit but I still need more bolts to replace the ones that wont work. Another problem I ran into is that the transfer case is rubbing the tub. Thats with 4 1/2" pads under the floorboard mounts on the tub. I cant put the 3/4" pads under there because the front tab will not line up with the frame. I Think when I took the jeep apart the transfer was rubbing then as well. Is there any way to lower the transfer case? Shims for the crossmember etc?

edit: I put pics on my picture gallery.

Last edited by Ryan on Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan,

Is the mount on the passenger side for the transfer to the cross member tightened down... I replaced mine and it took a bit to get it to seat properly... that would make the entire tansmission / transfer case sit a little bit high.

Another thing is the cross member mounted in the frame instead of under it... that will give lots of room... Should be mounted from under the frame.

Hope this helps...
Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I think the mount is seated. The crossmember is under the frame as well. I think the transfer case was like this before the tub was removed. (Best I can remember)
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The primary reason for a problem like that is the mountings for the transfer not installed correctly or the wrong front engine plate holding the engine up to high. Your installation should look like this:

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.. dont know if my transfer case mount is squished as much as that one is. Maybe I can tighten it down more.

I dont think the engine mounts are wrong. How could I tell?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is common for the new guy to have the rubber section rotted and it peels right out of it's metal cup and he doesn't realize the metal cup needs to be removed also. When he installs the new rubber mount with it's molded metal cup it won't set all the way in the extra metal cup.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at lunch and I did take the old metal ring out. I remember having to hammer it out of the ring on the crossmember. How tight should the bolt thru th emount be? Do I need to put it on the impact and see if it will come on down?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have a least 4 or 5 threads thru the nut and your new rubber's steel disc/cup should be seated all the way in the crossmember's disc/cup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: