Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Fording question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fording question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saberr

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Fording question Reply with quote

My m38a1 has it's fording system intact, and i plan to refurbish it again. Just love the idea, and is a big attraction for me to the jeep. I have seen family drive the "family" m38a1 as a daily driver for work and they complain that it cold. I am planning to put a heater in mine with a soft top. My question is though can you ford with the heater unit ? Obviously you can't ford with the heater on. When i say ford, not just a stream, but up to the grill or higher, go swimming with a snorkel Very Happy . Don't know enough about the units, but don't recall them being water proof.
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the heater but in regards to the fording system, there are a lot of components that need consideration and proper maintenance to make the jeep capable of underwater operation. Even then, fording was is considered to be a operation of military tactical necessity - not a "fun" thing to do on a regular basis. Does your jeep have all the components including bell housing gaskets, axle breathers, vent tubes in addition to the fording valves on the engine intake and breather? Are you prepared to service the jeep completely after every time you ford?
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8375

http://www.cj3a.info/sibling/m38vent/vent.htm
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already mentioned the military used the jeep's fording ability only out of tactical necessity. The reason it was not a common place task is the motor pool actions required as soon after the fording as possible so no long term damage occurred to the jeep. The degradation of the lubricants and operating fluids caused by the water contamination varied with the condition of the jeep and the length of time forded. The rule was at the first opportunity immediately after fording the jeep had to have all fluids and lubricants changed. This can get expensive if you simply play in the water with the jeep. If this is your plan for your jeep then I suggest you make several improvements to increase the protection of the fluids. Brakes and axles suffer the most because they are only lightly or subtly waterproofed. The military when necessary did the fording thing quickly. They did not spend the entire day playing in the water. All the fording equipment was designed to support very short periods of fording operations. So for more lengthy sojourns into the water many barely adequate sealing system will need help in the form of additional sealing efforts and agents. You will need to review all fording system seals for effectiveness and condition.

Here's a guide where improvement is needed:
Sealing of master cylinder
Better Sealing of engine openings and service points
Axle sealing and raising the vent height well above the expected water level.
Adding gaskets to distributor cover and sealant to the plug leads.
Adding heavy grease or sealants to the starter and generator openings.
Adding sealing agents to all wiring terminals. gauges and switches.

Remember, although the fording system sustains the jeeps operation when submerged as deep as the top of the windshield it does not guarantee protection of any fluids from water contamination or any components from accelerated corrosion problems.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Saberr

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the information, but i only asked if you can ford with a heater unit, or will it get messed up ? Is it one of those units just never meant to be in contact with any water.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heater was not meant to be submerged. In the military it was usually only issued and installed when the jeep was sent to arctic weather areas.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Saberr

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for confirmation, had a feeling that was the case. LoL kind of funny though. Units not made to deal with water, yet its made for arctic which has a lot of water Smile.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen water doesn't enter the wee small areas. Plunging thru the ice usually meant a recovery team and a trip straight to the motor pool for a lot of work.

RICKG

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for chuckles let me say this: I've got MC51986, #99 of the 102 unit run with the late fording system intact. On the trails my pals are always pointing me to deep water with the ol' double dog dare ya.. Shocked The answer isn't just "No" but H#ll NO!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: