Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 block to oil pressure sender line
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 block to oil pressure sender line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: M38A1 block to oil pressure sender line Reply with quote

The line from the 90 degree fitting in the the rear of the block to the oil pressure sender on my project is missing. Can anybody tell me please what diameter pipe I need and what size the end fittings should be so that I can make one up?
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Vince,
Do you have a hard copy or a downloaded version of the ORD
9 G758 parts manual? It is available along with other manuals
here free for down load.

I believe everything you are looking for is in there.

Take care,
Brian
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Vince

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brian - I had a look a the ORD 9 and (if I've understood it correctly) it simply lists it as:

8328407 Line, oil, sending unit assy

I can't find the complete assembly online, so I thought I'd make one up, hence the request for dimensions etc.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Vince. The ORD 9 can be challenging to obtain info from sometimes. Often times we must play Sherlock Holmes with it.

Note that both the top valve train oil supply line (Tube) and the gauge sender line (Tube) are the same size. Armed with this information re-visit the ORD 9 pages 53 & 54:

Just a wee bit of Sherlock Holmes and Voila there's most of the answer.

When you see a tube assembly broken down into it's individual parts and a spec # appears next to a part you can usually find that spec # in at least one of two places. In this case we found it on the following page further down the list. But you can also find common hardware and bulk items such as this listed in the back of the ORD 7 SNL G-758 and the ORD 8 SNL G-758.

The fact that the original lines were steel comes from the factory drawings.

Anticipating your next questions:
Quote:
What is the ORD 7 & 8?

They are ORD 7 Organizational Maintenance Allowances (organizational represents the using unit's motor pool) and the ORD 8 Field & Depot Maintenance Allowances Field meaning central motor pools and Depot means Depot. Maintenance Allowances are those parts authorized for use &/or stocking at that particular level in the Army.

Quote:
What about the fitting dimensions as well as the bulk materials?

They are listed in the 7 & 8 under Group 23 General use standardized parts.

Note group 23!

Note I found one of the two connectors and the elbow here on this page. I did not find the connector 148072 probably because it is a newer number and is probably a supersedure.

Not I did not find 137396 Nut, flared tube here on this page.

Here I did find our tubing under bulk material.

Quote:
What about the two items I didn't find?

Here's where we learn how easy it can be to find info on Google. You google the available part numbers and spend a little reading time.

For example: I google "137396 nut flare".

One hit is: http://www.cj3a.info/sibling/m38/tubes.html
Bob Westerman's piece on the CJV35 underwater vent system plumbing.
Shows an application but this 2nd Hit shows alternate part numbers:
http://www.partsources.net/41w3-16-105x3-9432075-dx35902-137396.html

In the alternate list you find: Eaton (weatherhead) part number: 105X3 4730002889390 INVERTED NUT,TUBE COUPLING EATON-AEROQUIP INC DIV FLUID CON

Now google "105X3 Inverted nut, tube coupling" and you get this awesome list: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=INVERTED+NUT%2CTUBE+COUPLING

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Vince

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes for the comprehensive service - I consider myself now educated - well, semi-educated at least (and a little knowledge... etc etc!).

So, we're talking 3/16 flared tubing with 3/16 nuts/connectors?

The reason I ask is that the connector coming out of the bottom of the oil sender appears to be 1/8 male pipe end and 1/8 (or thereabouts) at the end where it connects with the tube. So should I be looking to replace it with (something like) 137404?

CONNECTOR, flared tube, inverted, br, 3/16 in tube, 1/8 male pipe end (w/o NUT)
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should back up a step here. I believe that this view indicates the tube to the sender is one size larger than the tube for the top valve oil delivery. So that would mean the tube size is 1/4" for the sender. This tends to agree better with page 168 of the ord 9 where they use 90 deg elbow pipe female 1/8" to 1/4" along with a straight adapter connector 1/4" tube to 1/8" pipe.

If you look at the large view of this same photo: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album138&id=DSCN0041&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

The pipe nipple on the sender is 1/4"P and the adapter connector shown is obviously 1/8"P male to 1/4" tube inverted flare.

Page 168 of the ORD 9 helps with the hardware in the photo but doesn't give us the tube, it's nuts and the lower block elbow. So we still need numbers for the lower elbow 1/8"P male to 1/4" tube inverted flare female, and the 1/4" tube inverted flare tubing nuts. The 1/4" tubing is already listed for us in the ORD 7 illustration above (pg 59) as 44-T-5080-15. The ORD 7 illustration above (Pg 60) gives us a number for the 1/4" tube nut 142432.

If we google "elbow 1/4" tube inverted flare to 1/8" pipe" we get this:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/EDE0/122420/N1165.oap?ck=Search_N1165_EDE_-1_-1&mn=Edelmann&mc=EDE&pt=N1165&ppt=C0248

Quote:
Edelmann - Inverted Flared Fitting
Line: EDE | Part # 122420
1 Year Limited Warranty
UPC: 21597600435
Male Elbow - 1/4 Inch Tube (7/16-24) Female Inverted Flare x 1/8 Inch Male Pipe Thread
DETAILED DESCRIPTION
Male Elbow - 1/4" Tube (7/16-24) Female Inverted Flare x 1/8" Male Pipe Thread
ADDITIONAL DETAILS
Pipe Size (In): 1/8 Inch
Tube Size (In): 1/4 Inch

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Vince

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - that makes sense - much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: