Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M-100 Progress...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M-100 Progress...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: M-100 Progress... Reply with quote

Well, everything has been sandblasted and primered... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

All the bolts and nuts have been retapped and died... Smile Smile Smile

Put it all together except for the axle and rims (still need to buy tires Sad )...

Primered and painted all except for the inside of the tub today... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks to Bill in MI for the lunette and casting... I was able to use the drawings from Jeepdraw for the "A" frame, brake parts and the landing leg. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Now to mount the axle (it is done and painted), buy the shocks, tires and electrical harness. Last will be the markings: US AIR FORCE 52L0104

Comments please...
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great hal. My jeep is darker than yours. I went with the ppg paint, that is probably why. I am starting to wonder if mine is to dark. It does seem to match the paint that was still one the jeep however.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks real good! I wish mine was in good enough shape to restore. The floor, 1 end panel, and 1 side was rusted out when I got it. The frame also has major pitting. I thought about buying repair panels from Jeep Panels Plus, but would it be worth the expense to restore it? I'm figuring around $400. It's either restore it to go with my 'A1 (I've also got an M416 in good shape to restore after the 'A1), or make a flatbed out of it - the fenders are excellent. What do you all think?

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is all your looking at I would replace the panels, I had to find and buy the lunette, casting and make new "A" frames that alone was $375... Sad
I have had to make almost all the brake parts; save the brake handle it was bent up pretty bad, I was able to straighten it out... Need to replace the wiring and brake cable along with new tires...

In my opinion if you can save your trailer for $400 go for it, it will be worth the expense sometime down the road... you got to remember an ORIGINAL M-100 is a limited quantity... Smile

My tub is not perfect... it has dings and dents I could not get out due to time constraints (NO room in the garage and the rains came last night Confused ). However I have cleaned all the rust and old paint off, reprimered and repainted all the parts. Rebuilt the axle and lubed all the parts. I got the axle and shocks mounted yesterday, I ended up using the rubbers that came with the shocks, the new shocks did not have tapered mounts to fit the new rubbers I bought... Confused

I will not have a show winner, but it will be correct and original to a point, and mine... Very Happy Very Happy

Besides, with me putting money into a restoral I have something to show for it as opposed to the folks that drink their money and have nothing to show; except for a retirement belly... Embarassed

Hope this helps...
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, she's got the original wheels, lights and data plates also! I bought a new wiring harness, brake cable and chains about 6 years ago(when I first bought the trailer - I actually got the trailer free! when I bought some other stuff!).
- I do need the little cam that mounts to the frame that the brake handle rod attaches to (I took it off because it was rusted tight, and lost it sometime or another). I guess I could make one if I had a pattern,

>>>In my opinion if you can save your trailer for $400 go for it, it will be worth the expense sometime down the road... you got to remember an ORIGINAL M-100 is a limited quantity... <<<
You've got a point there - now if I can keep my wife off my back about my yard ornaments!!

>>>My tub is not perfect... it has dings and dents I could not get out due to time constraints (NO room in the garage and the rains came last night ). <<<
Beauty Marks

Besides, with me putting money into a restoral I have something to show for it as opposed to the folks that drink their money and have nothing to show; except for a retirement belly...
Exactly!

I think you convinced me to restore her. An M100 would be a better fit for my '54 M38A1 I think, even though the M416 will also work. Now, where did I put that tub when I cut it off?

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my M-100 is 95% done... Very Happy Still to do is landing leg pivot (Ordered from D&L Bensinger) and Cable box for front panel (After the first from MWM)... and some minor touch up on the paint... Smile

I made the wiring harness and intervehicle cable... Very Happy

I put two red oak bows in the tub to hold the tarp up, I screwed 2 sockets used on boats to the inside of the tub for each bow... I got the red oak from Lowe's (1/2"x2"x48" for less than $4 each) I had to cut about an 1 1/2 off to allow them to bend and fit... but I am happy with the results... Very Happy

Enjoy...

Bill_F

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Can you give a close up of the bows and brackets? All I have is PVC pipe bows in my M416 - at least it works! You said you made the intervehicular cable? How hard was that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Hal!

Thanks for the photos.

Cool
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My intervehicler cable is 2 male plugs with a piece of 6 conductor cable in the middle... As my trailer is set up as an early M-100 with the socket on the trailer, like the jeep. I have found that the socket cover on the M-38 needs to open up to allow the cable to lock into place by the cover...

I bought a cable on eBay that was 26 feet long that had a large male connector on one end, the other had a small female cannon plug. I cut the cable with the large end off to a length of 7 feet and put on the other male connector, I bought from Saturn Surplus ($30) and I had my intervehicle cable. Use only pins A-F and wire straight thru...

For the M-416, its cable is attached to the trailer, you can find these on eBay regularly or try one of the venders... It should have Packard Connectors as opposed to Douglas.

I will try to get photos of the bows and sockets tomorrow... need to take the tarp off to do this, it is supposed to rain tomorrow night, want to do it before the rain starts...
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that wanted the views of the rib mounting here are photos...

The mounting hardware was aquired from a marine supply store, they are the sockets used to hold ribs for boat tarps... The lumber is red oak from Lowe's for $4 each... I had to take a hand plane and thin the ends down to fit the sockets and also smoothed the corners to help prevent splinters... They will get a good coat of linseed oil later...

Enjoy...
bubagun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just putting the finishing touches on my M100 trailer resto. Needs two new tires,and the stars and numbers etc. I went with using the oak "bows" as you did but "made my own "sockets out of 1" wide steel channel with 3/8" "legs." I milled the "slots" in and then drilled two holes for mounting screws in each end. Painted them OD to match the trailer and installed them. (I will try and post images later, of the fabricated parts, if it never quits raining)

Rick_L

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal, you said you had to make up your brake parts. What did you do for the bracket that mounts the brake handle to the trailer and the bellcrank?
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

I had those parts... I had to make the "J" bolt and the part the cable rides in to the drums, looks like a "U"...

I have an extra complete Brake handle (handle and bracket) and bar to the bellcrank... let me know if you are interested via PM...

Hope this helps...
7slotgrills

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Real nice trailers guys Reply with quote

Hi guys your trailers are really nice. I wish I can do that good.
My M100 needs work see website www.7slotgrills.com/m100project.html
Can I get some tips? PLease contact me I posted under M100 trailer
with some ?
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: