Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - USAF M38a1 colors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USAF M38a1 colors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: USAF M38a1 colors Reply with quote

Hi All,
Thanks to Wes, I figured out my M38a1 is most likely a 62-63 model, although all tags are gone except the homemade one, that matches the one on my registration. Anyway, I have figured out from paint colors thst it is most likely an ex USMC jeep. Dark forest green exterior, lighter green inside fenders, and frame. Not trying to knock USMC, but planning on Strata Blue, Air Force markings in honor of my Dad and Father in Law who both served in the Air Force, and doesn't have much of the original components anyway to make it worth a lot if restored to original (cj-3b engine, 12v, etc). So, my question, and forgive me if it is somewhere else on the forum, is are the engine components, insides of fenders, seat frames, firewall, and frame, all painted in OD 24087 paint, with Stata Blue on the outsides of the fenders and tub? Is the inside of the tub blue? Would I follow the posted component paint guide for all the engine components with Black and OD 24087 components? I'm sure all canvas is orinal OD as well. May not win any judging, but want it to look as nice as possible. Maybe some retired Air Force personnel remember. My Dad just road around in the SAC Dodge 6 packs, and used OD M151s in Vietnam as a FAC, so he couldn't recall. Thanks
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M38A1's that went to the USAF were Black chassis, black/OD/Gray engine, black radiator, generator, regulator, air cleaner, distributor, & fan. If the engine was rebuilt in an Air Force motor pool it would most likely be gray.

Tub Strata Blue inside & out. From 52 on most USAF stuff was thorougly strata blue. Not any OD showing up. Canvas was OD from Willys but USAF base fabric shops usually went with gray, OD or blue seat covers in both canvas & vinyl. Many of these USAF jeeps got CJ5 tops purchased locally instead of the Arctic top.

My time in the Air Force was 1966 thru 1989.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
DC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes, I was trying to find pictures of engine details, but most were Army. So some of the engine parts that are OD on Army on the spec sheet, are all black. Were any of this blue, like on the air cleaner for instance? I assume inside of fenders and firewall were blue as well. My dad served from 61 to 84, SAC, Combat Control, skydiver at USAFA, then retired in SAC again. Chief Mastersargent. My Father-in-Law was a Lt. Left shortly after Vietnam.
Thanks for your service Wes, and your contribution on this website.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited my post, the air cleaner was black.

I was SAC 66-68 B-52H, 68/69 B-52D, 69-72 B-52G, 72/73 KC-135, (73-75 Army res. UH-1), (75-76 MAC C141) 80-86 B-52G, 86-89 B-1B.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived outside Orlando in the late sixties, early seventies.

It was awesome watching those Buff's making turns at what seemed to
be unflyable slow speed headed into and out of McCoy AFB.

My favorite movie of all time behind Josey Wales is Dr. Strangelove.
Great cockpit and in flight scenes of the big guys.

I was driving to a rig in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming in 1979
when I head a loud noise I thought was coming from the truck. Stopped and
got out and was nearly blown down by a flight of three headed northwest
at what seemed like treetop level, if there were trees in that part of Wyoming!

Sorry for the trip down memory lane. Appreciate your service Gentlemen,
and the memories from some of your pals.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAC quit formation flying the B-52's after the 1965 loss in a mid-air over the south China sea of two B-52F's from Guam. Low levels were only flown single ship. There may be one or two more in trail a mile or more apart but no diamond formation flying below 1000 AGL. The lowest I ever flew in a Buff during a low level sortie was 100' AGL. Which is low enough to tell the cattle apart.

4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there were three, and they were in diamond formation, but certainly
they could have been higher than 1000 feet. Those boys are big, and look it from underneath.

Well it was a long time ago
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking at 100 feet you could tell which ones were steers if they weren't running like $&%!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: