Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - F134 Gear driven or chain?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F134 Gear driven or chain?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason86

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: F134 Gear driven or chain? Reply with quote

I've been looking at some basic NOS F134 engine parts for my M38A1 to stock up on for when i go to rebuild it such as timing gears and an oil pump. What are the chances of it being chain driven vs gear? I ptetty much know what the answer to this question is going to be but Is there any way to tell without taking off the timing cover? Thanks in advance.
southpw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know the serial number of the engine, you may be able to look it up and know what it was built for and when. That would likely confirm if it is chain or gear.
Jason86

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would I find the engine number info and what it was installed in?

Here's the story, I actually have two engines of which I don't know the running condition of so I'm going to rebuild one of them I just don't know which one at the moment I'd like to try to put the one that's closest to being correct to the jeep. The guy said the one that came out of the 53 A1 "The project jeep" was running fine at time of removal and turns over with a wrench but figured while it's out and if I'm spending this much time and money on a restoratio id rather know the engine is in the best possible condition and not go by what he says. He said it was a Cj5 engine as it has a civy engine mounting plate (but he also thought both jeeps he sold me were 1952 Wink so think it could have just been replaced to the civy one at the time of its rebuild but im not quite sure) It was rebuilt at one time I'm assuming because the engine numbers are machined off the top of block. It has a engine casting of 806279-W-13-D-AR cu

The one in the 52 A1 "the parts jeep" model MD 17xxx's has an engine # of MD 771XX and seems seized by trying to turn by hand but has a rebuild tag from a local dealership back in the 80's and was on the road up to 1995 from the insp. sticker. I believe when I was looking at both engines side by side this one also has an engine casting number of 806279-W-13-D-AR cu

So other than parts that I know may need machining I'd like to try and start my collection of buying NOS parts like a oil pump and timing gears that are currently available but are running low on stock but dont know if I possibly could have a chain driven motor, that is why I asked if there was a way of telling and i am afraid these parts might not be available when I go to rebuild but hate to open up the engine right now as I am trying to take advantage sandblasting and painting while it's still summer and leave the rebuilding for winter projects. Sorry to make such a long post just trying to get as much info in as possible.
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, all F heads are gear drive. WW2 and early CJ flatheads were the chain drive models.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chain drives ended with the late WWII L134 block casting 638632 and the gear drives started with the 641087 casting. The F134 was introduced in 1949 with the 646228 casting as a gear drive engine.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: