Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Wilwood Dual Master Cylinder Installation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wilwood Dual Master Cylinder Installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Wilwood Dual Master Cylinder Installation Reply with quote

I have seen that some folks have installed a dual master cylinder kits on their jeeps. I purchased a dual master cylinder kit from Kaiser Willys a few years ago that came with a mounting bracket and a Wilwood Dual Master Cylinder. I got this one because it did not require cutting away part of the frame, just drilling some holes.
I have seen that Hawkshadow installed the same kit.

I am preparing to install mine and wanted to see if anyone who has installed one of these has any advice.

Did you have any particular problems that needed to be solved? Any suggestions or problems after installation or anything else that I might need to be aware of?

I am also preparing to rebuild and install my steering gear box and wondered if it was easier to do the master cylinder first or after installing the steering gear box. I haven't installed my engine and transmission yet and figured that it would be easier to do the master cylinder and steering first.

I appreciated any advice offered.
Thanks
Ralph
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did indeed instal that kit and for the most part have been pleased with the instal and operation. The instal was quick and painless, requiring (I think, if I remember correctly) only a couple of holes to mount to the frame. It's hard steel so make sure that you start with a small bit and work your way up.

It's good that you don't have the engine in. That definitely will help give you the room to operate the drill. I would suggest installing the brake system before the steering box goes in.

My biggest suggestion is to try and get the reservoirs plastic welded together between the upper and lower sections as mine have leaked consistently at that joint even after kaiser Willys sent me a new pair. Also, instal the return spring before putting the body on - trust me it sucks to do it after!

Check my build thread regarding installing the mechanical brake light switch. http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9928&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

If there is anything else that you need please don't hesitate to ask!

M38 CDN
52-30718
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan,

I am fixing to start installing the dual master cylinder kit. I mounted the brake clutch tube bracket under the frame but with the tab that bolts to the side of the frame to the inside so it would not interfere with my alignment. I then installed the clutc/ brake tube and then held the new master cylinder mounting bracket up to the outside of the frame to determine hole placement. I noticed that the brake tube support bracket in the kit does not fit (hole is bigger) as well as the old master cylinder brake tube support that was used on the original master cylinder (hole is smaller).

Did you align yours with the brake tube centered in the bracket or did you move it back or forward so that it put some pressure on the brake tube?

I also noticed while looking through the kit that the boot for the end of the master cylinder for the brake rod does not seem to come up the rod enough to protect the end of the master cylinder from dirt and it doesn't seem to fit very well. I took the old boot off my old original master cylinder and it is deeper (3 inches instead of 1 inch) and fits better. Is this what you found and what did you do?
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a little while since I installed mine, but are you sure that the clutch tube bracket isn't just listed as an alignment piece? From what I remember you use it once with the bracket is on the outside of the frame - to mark the holes.

My kit also did not come with a boot for the push rod but one would certainly make sense there.

Here is a picture from the instal. Notice that I added material to the bracket to be able to use the existing hole on the frame.

M38 CDN
52-30718
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan,

The original master cylinder had a metal support for the clutch/brake tube. It was a piece of metal that ran from the side of the original master cylinder, it was bolted on to the two bolts that held the master cylinder to the frame, it then ran back and went around the end of the clutch brake tube as back side support of the clutch/brake tube. It went on the end of the tube and then the cotter key holds it on.

The bracket in the kit that was used to align the mounting bracket for drilling the holes bolts to the backside of the bracket when installed on the frame and then goes around the clutch/brake tube to provide the support that the original bracket provided. The instructions that came with my kit are not very clear on that.

I noticed you said you had to add to the bracket. I am assuming that your issue is the same as mine. The horizontal mounting bolt for the clutch/brake tube bearing block that goes through the frame does not match up with the hole in the master cylinder bracket. I am going to weld a tab on the master cylinder bracket and then drill a hole through that tab to align with the hole in the frame and the bearing block.
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgmutchler wrote:

I noticed you said you had to add to the bracket. I am assuming that your issue is the same as mine. The horizontal mounting bolt for the clutch/brake tube bearing block that goes through the frame does not match up with the hole in the master cylinder bracket. I am going to weld a tab on the master cylinder bracket and then drill a hole through that tab to align with the hole in the frame and the bearing block.

Yes. You can see the addition that I did to the bracket in the picture above on the bottom left of the bracket.

M38 CDN
52-30718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: