Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 wiring help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 wiring help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JahRafa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: M38 wiring help Reply with quote

Are there any circuit breakers/fuse box on the M38 wiring system? I am installing a wire harness but do not want to burn down the vehicle. And I wish not to cut any wires to connect any fuse assemblies unless absolutely necessary.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early M38's had a set of circuit breakers on the inboard side of the cowl battery box:

and one on the back side of the instrument cluster:

The early main light switch did not have a built in CB but the later switches did.

This is the early wiring diagram showing the circuit breakers

This is the late M38 wiring diagram without circuit breakers.

If you are installing a correct M38 reproduction harness you should have been advised by the manufacturer to choose the early or late harness?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
JahRafa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Wes! How can I find out if I have an early or late model M38? Mine is 1952 so I guess that will be late since that was the last year for the M38 model if I am not mistaken. When I purchased the harness I was asked if I had circuit breakers and I chose the ones without, because I did not see any then. But my dad had the vehicle since I was a year old, and there has been many modifications done and it is currently 12 volts. I am trying to bring it back to original 24v. If it is the late model, then are there circuit breakers still or anywhere to put fuses? I appreciate all your help and wisdom
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The group of three Circuit Breakers were last installed in MC 65927.

The instrument cluster circuit breaker was last installed in MC65042

The old style light switch without a circuit breaker was last installed in MC66734.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
JahRafa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes. Mine is MC 69612 therefore no circuit breakers. So is it safe to install the harness? or does the light switch has a safety inside? just worried about a short and not having fuses or breakers. Does it have anything for safety feature?

Thanks again.

Rafael
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the late style light switch has a circuit breaker inside of it. For the late M38's that was the only circuit protection in them.

The left and center switches are the early switches and they had no built in circuit breaker. The right switch is representative of all the later switches that came with an internal circuit breaker.

The harness was safe without a lot of circuit breaker or fuse installations as long as it was carefully maintained.

Still it is good insurance to add a battery cut off switch at the negative post of the underhood battery so if a serious short circuit develops you can quickly disable the batteries.

JahRafa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, Thanks again for your wisdom.

Rafael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: