Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 1952 M38 serial number question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1952 M38 serial number question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsnwalker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: 1952 M38 serial number question Reply with quote

I recently picked up a 1952 M38 (so the title says...) and the title shows that the jeps serial number/VIN is 62346. As far as I am aware, that is not a true serial number/VIN for an M38. So, I'm trying to find the real serial numbers anyway possible. Both the plates have been removed before my time and I could not find anything stamped into the frame. The only thing I could find was the motor/block serial number which is 804-380-W-12-D-P5.

Using a very handy M38 serial number database from the downloads section of this forum, I was able to find an exact match to my block number. That block number is tied to a serial number of MC29543 which is the serial number format I was expecting.

Could that truly be my serial number? Did they make multiple blocks with the same number? Is there another way that I can validate if that is truly my serial number? Since I am new to the M38 world, I don't know how to guarantee that this is the original motor for my M38 or if it was ever replaced.

I appreciate any guidance on this!
RICKG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the flat horiz surface on the block behind the water pump for a number and report back.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

There is a ton of information you are overlooking. My photo albums which are at: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

You can also get there by simply clicking on the "Photo Gallery" Icon above just below the large letters WILLYS MILITARY JEEPS.

Then click on my "Album: M38 Survey Form Guide" also do not overlook my"Album: L134" album:

Also be sure to complete the M38 survey letter I sent you.

Your engine serial you listed is actually your engine's casting number. Your title serial 62346 would be an April 1952 M38.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jsnwalker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that photo Wes. I found the number behind the water pump after removing the paint that filled in the serial and can read RMC124124. If I understand correctly, the 'R' means replacement which would then mean this is not the original motor? Is there anyway to use that to somehow validate the 62346 title serial?

Last edited by jsnwalker on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Willys only placed two chassis serials on your jeep. One tag on the dash and one tag behind the passenger seat. Since Willys did not match engine serials to chassis serial there is no other way to ascertain your jeep's serial number is what is on your title. Since you do have a title it would serve you best to get a data plate on the jeep with a number that matches your title.

You are correct in assuming the RMC serial is for a factory new replacement engine.

A good question to ask yourself: Did Utah register their vehicles with chassis numbers or engine numbers. Many states used engine serials for titling vehicles up until the Feds in the 70's required VIN's.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: