Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Unit Marking Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unit Marking Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonD2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Unit Marking Question Reply with quote

After disassembly, blasting, priming, and painting, I'm getting to reassemble and mark my 1951 Dunbar Kapple M100 as it would have been in service shortly after it was issued. It has all three data plates (worn thin, but readable) so I have the serial number. I've marked my M38 as belonging to the Headquarters and Service Company of the 15th Infantry Regiment of the 3rd Infantry Division (3-15-I) with an order of march number of HQ-7, according to what I believe is the correct Army Regulation (AR) in effect during 1952. I also found a copy of the TO&E for the Infantry Regiment in 1952 and HQ&Svc Co. is correct (not a separate Service Company at that time, so it's HQ not SV). And no stars either!

This is my question for the Soldiers out there: it's not clear to me in the AR that trailers got an order of march marking at all. Which makes sense to me (an ignorant jar-head). Why would the Army mark a specific trailer in sequence for a specific jeep, for example if the jeep is HQ-7 then it's trailer would be HQ-8? Why not just grab any trailer and go (no order of march marking for trailers)? I'm inclined to put 3-15-I on the lower left rear cross-member of the trailer and leave it at that. Would it be wrong?

Your advice and experience in this appreciated. I have a few photo's from the period, but none with trailers, and have searched this and the G forum with no joy.

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron,
I stumbled across this on the G:
http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=153146

Take care,
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you notice what I posted on that G503 post under my 2nd name Cuz over there. That TB is in our downloads.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=151

As I recall the vehicles (including trailers) that were assigned to the motor pool used any acceptable number that the motor pool wished to use since they had no real "Order of March". S I think it is safe to assume that checkout vehicles and trailers from motor pools would not have a unit specific order of march number. However a trailer that belonged to a unit would have an order of march # that would usually attach it to a specific tow vehicle.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
DanS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, after the early 70s, trailers were usually assigned to a certain tow vehicle. So if HQ-8 was the tow vehicle, the trailer usually was HQ-8T, designating it as the towed piece of equipment. Of course, all this is really up the commander at what ever level decides per particular unit, ie, company, battalion or brigade level.

Dan
GPW 14944 dod 4/10/42
K38 Linemans Trailer 4/43
M100 Trailer 01177488 dod 8/51
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! But the solution is still about as clear as mud to me. I found and read a copy of the AR 850-5 with Change 6 (up to January 1949) today and it's not definitive either. Came across a few photos of M38's and M100's in 1952 Germany and see trailers with only U.S.A. registration numbers on the aft end and no unit marks, as well as some with unit marks. No stars on any of them, deuces, jeeps, or trailers. The photos with marked jeeps and trailers were too fuzzy to see clearly if they're numbered in sequence (ex: HQ-7 jeep towing HQ-8 trailer, or towing HQ-7T trailer). I like Dan's experience with the "T" designating the towed load, but the "after the early 1970's" makes me wonder if they'd have used that method in the early 1950's? Understand unit commanders preference, I'd just like to see some 1950's photo evidence to support it.

I guess I'll keep looking for something definitive for the time being and just put the U.S.A. registration number and 3-15-I on the tail end for now. Then again, what the hey! It's paint, not a stripped bolt.

Thanks again.

--- Enzo Ferrari

kenperkins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/federicocavedo/Federico%20Cavedo%201961_zpshalksec2.jpg

from another thread
'51 M38 #22936,
'51 M100 Dunbar
'53 M100 Dunbar
M416b1
2- M762
MVPA #11788
MVCC LIFER
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, that's perfect! Thanks much!

Enough evidence for me that my M38 is marked HQ-7 and I can mark the trailer with the same.

--- Enzo Ferrari

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: