Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 Battery Box Cover....Part 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 Battery Box Cover....Part 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w30bob

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: M38A1 Battery Box Cover....Part 2 Reply with quote

HI Guys,

I'm feeling kind of dumb here.....but I just figured out my battery box cover issue. Two of the eight cover screws weren't getting tight.....so I thought the captive nuts went away somehow. John at Midwest sold me some new nuts and I was futzing around with it tonight. Wes was also nice enough in another post to explain why my '55 A1 had a tub with the 8-screw battery cover when this feature was replaced by the strap cover 2 years earlier. I had not considered that the tub could have been changed.....but that makes sense and explained the old style cover.

Now I've never looked at the strap style cover in detail, but had I this issue would have been obvious. Tonight I finally climbed under the dash to see how the nuts for my cover screws were held in place.......and I found out that NONE of the 8 nuts for the cover screws were there!! There were just holes and no nuts. No cages for nuts, no spot weld marks.....nothing. WTF! Now when I got the jeep a few weeks ago I wondered why there were footman loops at each end of the cover. I just Google'd M38A1 Battery Cover and found the footman loops are for the strap cover.....not the 8 screw cover. Meaning my tub originally had the strap cover, which is correct for a '55.....but some previous bubba just drilled 8 holes in the cowl and screwed the old style cover on. Why would anyone do such a STUPID thing?

Now I've got to weld up those stupid holes, and the jeep had just recently been painted! I know folks do dumb things to jeeps......but this is just silly. But at least the cover mystery is solved.

Regards,
Bob
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did Bubba do what he did?

We have our own thread for the craziest things Bubba's done!

I had a 2" u shaped piece of pipe upside down punched through and
welded to the 18 gauge cowl and the joint covered with Bondo.
A piece of plexiglass was mounted to the pipe making a "windshield."
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your reading pleasure:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3145
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
w30bob

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brian,

I just found the bubba mods thread and was reading it. I feel better now!

Smile

Thanks,
Bob
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=61542#61542
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: