Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Carter vs Solex
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carter vs Solex

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w30bob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Carter vs Solex Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

My recently purchased A1 has a Solex carb on it. Previous owner said it ran like crap with the original Carter, which I found a bit hard to believe, but he didn't have the Carter anymore. Went to a military meet yesterday and of the 3 M38A1's two had the Solex and one the correct Carter. Talked to one owner with a Solex extensively and he swears it runs much better than with the Carter. So what gives?

I've read up on the YS and it doesn't seem to be a bad carb, or hard to rebuild. Cores are also not hard to come by.........I picked up 3 good ones in a week and the week before I didn't even know what a YS950S was. Rebuild kits are plentiful too. So is there something to this Solex thing or are folks just plain lazy?

thanks,
bob
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
Probably the same argument from folks that had 24 volt jeeps and
changed them to 12 volt. They don't want to take the time or effort
to learn about the original equipment that served the vehicle for at
least as long as it was in service.

Equipped with decent or rebuildable equipment, proper manuals and
the resources of folks on this and other boards there's no reason why
the YS950 won't serve your vehicle for decades more. That and its
the correct carburetor.

This does not include the folks that ended up with with vehicles
either with no electrical or already converted to 12 volts.

I'm trying to remember if the Solex has a vacuum side. If not
how are you running wipers?

Take care,
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
w30bob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

I'm not. The wipers are electric right now, getting fed from a 24 to 12v converter under the dash, but not fully hooked up. The wiring is a nightmare. I should have the new carb, fuel pump, PCV, crossover tube, etc, all here in about a week or so. I'll deal with the wiring after the mechanicals. In for a penny...in for a pound, as they say.

regards,
bob
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to take offered opinions with a grain of salt in this hobby!

I have experience with Carters and Solex that span 45 years. I have found Solex adequate to very good where it was the stock carb. I have not found Solex superior to Carter on a jeep unless the person who told you that had a poorly maintained and poorly performing Carter his claim would remain unsupported.

The exact same principal applies to folks who are too lazy or not bright enough to properly rebuild/maintain a stock M38A1 fuel pump who brag up their new electric fuel pump.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents: Vacuum operated waterproof military carburators work fine until you get to high altitude. You lose 1 inch of vacuum for every 1000 feet you go up. At 12,000 feet, you don't have much. So, starting them up after a long climb can be interesting. There is no mechanical accelerator pump in them, it's vacuum operated. Pumping the petal does nothing. They need choke to start. Even when hot at that high altitude. I think they look better, are correct, and make your Jeep more valuable. The solex is very sensitive to dirt in the gas, and needs the correct fuel pressure. So does the carter. So, if you are spending money anyway, I'd put the original stuff on. Some guys will put a WO Carter on their L134 M38's for high altitude driving. They simply work better. YF Carter on a F134. Both have a mechanical type accelerator pump. VW bugs ran a solex stock. They worked pretty good. The ball type gross jet primary seat for the float chamber gave me some headaches. Electric choke had to be re-adjusted between winter/summer. John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: