Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - I have 2 different T90 brass synchro rings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have 2 different T90 brass synchro rings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason86

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: I have 2 different T90 brass synchro rings Reply with quote

I purchased a NOS set of synchro rings for my M38A1 rebuild because I didn't want to use the new ones that came in my kit but when I got them in I noticed that on one of the NOS rings the 3 milled slots that are on the end are much larger, other than that it is identical to my other synchro's. I'm going to take a wild guess but I'm assuming it's to allow more oil in and provide less surface area of the taper for less friction??? So my overall concern is can I or should I use this in my rebuild and if so should it be on the 2nd gear or the 3rd gear or should I not even use it at all? As always Thanks in advance!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the NOS rings actually a Warner Gear product? What type of ID #'s were on the package?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jason86

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rings did not come in a package and were an auction item claiming to be for the T90 and look like they will fit just fine other then the wider slots on one I unfortunately did not pick up on that in the pictures until I got in in hand. One is stamped "made in USA 243-14F" and is of no concern. The other ring which is of concern also says made in USA but is marked 191-14A and is also identical other than the 3 larger milled slots that measure about .625 compared to the others @ .350. I tried to Google the #s for any information before coming here but nothing came up. I'm thinking it might of been used in the M151. What would be the effects of using this synchro in a build?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question is: Just how many times are you willing to remove and re-install the tranny until you get her operating smoothly?????

I have been working under these jeeps since 1971. To this day tranny R&R is still the most deplorable task. The biggest PITA. When I assemble a T-90, D-18 or Jeep clutch I do it with only one important goal. "I do not want to repeat the task anytime in the near future!!!"

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jason86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes that's why I'm on here asking the pro's like you questions and trying to buy NOS Wink My plan is to do it once and do it correctly to the best of my ability so I don't need to go back in, this is one area I do not want to skimp on. So on that note I will continue my search for a set of correct NOS matching synchro's or use the new ones from my Novak kit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: