Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Fording/Ventilation System Part Numbers Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fording/Ventilation System Part Numbers Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w30bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Fording/Ventilation System Part Numbers Question Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Ok, I've been thru the ORDs, checked out Wes' photo albums on the subjects and also found lots of info on the web regarding the parts of the ventilation/fording system on the M38 and early M38A1s. I want to install the complete system(s) on my A1 so I started making a parts list of what I need to find. I ordered the tubing kit from AJP and it does contain a lot of tubes. I tried laying them out last night against the pics in the ORD and some of the lines look way off, but I need to confirm with AJP that the tags on the pipes are referencing the ORD pics and not pics from another manual. Seems the letters for each part in the diagrams is different for each illustration.......so line CC in the ORD diagram is listed as line A in a different pub. Each line is only labeled with a letter, not a part number.

Assuming I can sort that out and make up the lines I need I want to order all the brass fittings (unions, tee's, 90 degree bends, etc, etc). Has anyone made up a spreadsheet that cross references the ORD part numbers with Eaton/Weatherhead fittings? I've seen this done with the M37 system so I assume you jeep guys also did the same. Looking up each ORD part number online to cross to a NSN and then find alternates for that NSN or specs to compare to the Weatherhead catalog takes forever. So I assume some adventurous jeeper has already done this. And I sure don't want to duplicate effort if I can help it. So..........anybody know were the secret decoder ring is located?

thanks,
bob
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you luck in finding a set of oversimplified instructions and parts list. Most of us are too busy trying to balance our families needs with our needs for the jeep hobby we enjoy to spend several days building such a neat product.

The tubes you received should have part numbers (either Willys or ORD) on them. You compare part numbers to the description page of the ORD 9. You can make things simple for yourself if you just print the illustrations from the ORD 9 and then write the part number next to each letter. Keep that illustration out on your work bench. If you order the standard Weatherhead catalog it is a simple task to lay the parts page next to the catalog and use the description of the fitting on the parts page to locate the same fitting in the Weatherhead catalog. If you read the parts page carefully on the tube lines they tell you which PN line goes where, what ID it is, and what it's length is.

If your tubing supplier did not put any part number tags on the lines he sent you then you will have to tag them yourself by comparing the tube to the parts list.

Eaton Weatherhead Links

Master Catalog (Mostly brass or poly)
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pll_1015.pdf
Hose Assembly Master Catalog
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pll_1189.pdf

Here's is what the pages in my ORD 9 look like when I am using copies of them on the bench:

Larger more readable file link:
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/album245/Fig_03_8.jpg

Larger more readable file link:
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/album245/ORD_Parts_list_page.jpg

Also, when Willys stopped building the M38A1 with the necessary plumbing for fording the Army made Willys produce a complete kit of the parts left off. It is called a "Fording Kit" but not to be confused with the other "Fording Kit" which only supplies the extra inlet hose for the windshield and the tail pipe extension for M38A1's already plumbed for Fording Ops.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
w30bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes,

I wish the lines did have a part number on them, then it would be a no brainer. But they only have a white paper tag on each that has a letter on it or something like "CC to pump". Some of them resemble the lines in the ORD 9 illustration you posted, but some do not. For example Line F, which goes from the crossover tube to the distributor is shown as a short slightly curved pipe in the illustration. The line in my kit marked "F" has 4 or 5 right angle bends in it.......so not even close to the illustration. But other lines, like the fuel tank vent and the larger fuel pump lines are spot on and have the same letters on their tags as in your illustration below. And for some reason the MC vent line that attaches to the cap (FF) is included, but the rest of that vent line (lines G and H) that connect to the air filter are not included. Also, the two lines that go to the distributor (marked F and EE) are steel, not copper. So there are some weird things going on with this line kit. I'll call AJP, but got a funny feeling they're not going to have an answer. Anyway........I'll play with it later when I get home and see what I find. As for the spreadsheet..........I'll take good notes as I figure all the fitting cross references out and send you guys the sheet to put up for everyone.

thanks,
bob
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually just about all the lines were steel clad from the factory. The manual approves using the plain copper lines as replacements in the field by fabricating them. Thus the Tubing hardware part numbers towards the end of each section in the parts manuals that have tube assemblies.

The length of the lines will tell you which is which. The repop guys just follow the tube/line dimensions in the ORD 9 and bend to look close to original.

Hal, a member here, restored an M38CDN and an M38A1 and made all his own tubes and sold them as a set to help fund his projects.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still make them, I can do copper, Steel or NiCopp... PM or email to kb1zq@swbell.net
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
w30bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes..........thanks for the info.

Hal......I'll email you shortly. Thanks.

regards,
bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: