Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Re-torquing head bolts F-head engine
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re-torquing head bolts F-head engine
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cabinfever

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re-torquing head bolts F-head engine Reply with quote

I am planning on re-torquing the head bolts on my M38A1 engine (F-head) this weekend in an attempt to stop a coolant leak.

I am wondering if I will have to remove the rocker arm assembly to get at the three bolts (1, 2, and 3) near the center of the engine head?

Steve Stark - 1955 M38A1 MD #85388

Member - MVPA #35153
Member - Red Bull Historic Military Vehicle Association
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
cabinfever

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Wes. Optimistically, based on your photo, there appears to be clearance to get my torque wrench in there especially if I use an extension to get the wrench above the rocker arm.

Also, it has been recommended to me that all the bolts get re-sealed with compound. I'll have to totally remove the bolts to do that. Hopefully. I can work the three center bolts around the rocker arm, too.

Member - MVPA #35153
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need a torque adapter for #2 & #3.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
cabinfever

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have the rocker arm cover and the carb off. You are correct (as usual) that I cannot get to head bolt #2 and #3 without a torque adaptor.

The problem now is, it has be recommended to me that I apply thread sealing compound to each bolt and then torque them down. In order to do this, I have to remove each bolt. Even with a torque adaptor, I will not be able to remove #2 and #3 bolt because the rocker arm is in the way.

So, it looks like my next move is to remove the rocker arm assembly. It looks like there are only 4 nuts that fasten the assembly to the head.

My next question is after I replace the rocker arm assembly will I have to re-gap the intake valve tappets?

Member - MVPA #35153
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you torque accurately the rocker shaft mount bolts you may get lucky. It helps to check the clearance first then write them down and recheck after you re-install the shaft.

Also if you are not going to change the head gasket then don't remove all the bolts at the same time. Take every other bolt loose, clean it, put sealant on it and install and torque it to half the scheduled torque. Then do the other half and torque them to half the scheduled torque. Then follow with the full torque to the finished value in the specified order.

oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been here on my F head in my Willys pickup. if your leak is coming from the studs, then yes seal the studs with permatex #2. If it's the gasket, then I'd pull the head and install a new copper head gasket. They cost more, but I'm impressed with them. They torque down better in my opinion. I also run a bottle of bars leak. It really helps seal up small seeps. John
cabinfever

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I jumped the gun yesterday. I removed the rocker arm assembly and loosened all the head bolts (I did not remove them). Coolant started to leak out of the head/engine block seam in places, so I tightened the bolts back up somewhat (not to spec, but tight enough to stop the small leaks). Then, I drained the coolant out of the jeep. I should have done that first thing.

I am now wondering if I should remove the head and replace its gasket. All that is standing in the way of doing that is the removal of the 15 head bolts (and waiting a week for the gasket to arrive in the mail). Or maybe since I loosened all the bolts already, it is required that I replace the gasket. Is that correct?

I will check the lash on my intake valves once everything is back where it belongs. I cannot turn the engine using the "fan belt method" even with the plugs out. What size socket should I use to turn the crankshaft? The largest socket I have is 1" and that's too small. I measured the nut with my cheapo plastic caliper and it would appear to be 1-3/8" or 1-7/16". I don't want to have to buy two.

Lastly, what direction should I turn the crankshaft? If looking at the engine from the front, should I turn the nut clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Thanks!

Member - MVPA #35153

Last edited by cabinfever on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
cabinfever

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilleaker1 wrote:
Been here on my F head in my Willys pickup. if your leak is coming from the studs, then yes seal the studs with permatex #2. If it's the gasket, then I'd pull the head and install a new copper head gasket. They cost more, but I'm impressed with them. They torque down better in my opinion. I also run a bottle of bars leak. It really helps seal up small seeps. John

John, I am not really sure where the leak is coming from. It was recommended by the guys in my MV association that the first step I should take is to re-torque the head bolts. Do you have a source or manufacturers name for the copper head gasket?

Thanks

Member - MVPA #35153
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clockwise looking at the front of the motor standing in front. Midwest Military has the copper gaskets. I'd pull the head. You may have antifreeze in the cylinders now. John
cabinfever

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilleaker1 wrote:
Clockwise looking at the front of the motor standing in front. Midwest Military has the copper gaskets. I'd pull the head. You may have antifreeze in the cylinders now. John

Thanks , got one ordered from J Bizal at MM! I have the head off and it's sitting on the bench waiting for the gasket to be delivered during the week.

Any tips - from anyone - regarding surface prep, gasket prep, and installation of the new copper gasket? Do I need to use any type of sealant with the new gasket? I have the sealant for the head bolts.

Thanks! I'm 64 and have never done a head gasket before. So any advice is very appreciated.

Member - MVPA #35153
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sealant on the gasket. It has a cement coating that melts and seals when she heats up. I use scotchbrite and laquer thinner and scrub it clean on the block and head. Don't get wild with a air tool especially near the valves. You might look for cracks while clean. Hopefully you don't find any. If one cylinder is completley void of carbon or has rust and no carbon, you may have a crack. Water burns off carbon. A good straight edge laid front to back and look for light under it will show a low spot or high depending what you see. A feeler gauge along it and test. I think I remember a note saying nothing more than .004. A air tool and a scotchbrite is fast but dangerous. It can literally remove .004 if you are not careful. I also dope the threaded hole and the bolt. Seems the hole sometimes will clean the sealant off going in. It's quite common to have a crack from the large open hole in the center of the block, running to the nearest stud or bolt hole. It's the crack that leads from there to a valve pocket that's not good. Good luck. John

Once you have brought the engine up to operating temp., shut it down and retorque the head bolts. It's important to do this. Then set your valve lash.
cabinfever

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, John, I really appreciate it.

That rear cylinder is cleaner than all the rest. I'll look for a crack. Would the crack be in the head or block?

Member - MVPA #35153
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be in either, or even a leaking head gasket.
G740

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Copper Head Gasket Reply with quote

Midwest Military stocks the copper head gaskets for the L and F head engines.
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: