Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Mostly M38?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mostly M38?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How to proceed?
Source parts to return it to stock M38
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
Restore it as a hybrid M38/CJ3a?
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Run away from this project?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

XYRN

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Mostly M38? Reply with quote

First off, allow me to start by saying how excited I am to join such a great group of enthusiasts! I have been looking for a reasonable flat fender project for my son (age 11) to restore together. I found a 1951 M38 that appears to be a very solid unit. It was advertised as a running, driving and titled vehicle. I traveled some distance to pick it up and it was as described, but as I'm digging into this project a bit, I'm discovering a few things. I knew that it had been converted to a 12v system and most of the military wiring had been swapped out. Yesterday, after researching engine SN's, I see that someone has swapped out the motor for a similar vintage motor as the SN starts with a J and not an MC.

So, here's the million dollar question for all of you... Do I restore it as an M38 or a period correct civilianized M38/CJ3a hybrid?[image][/img]
XYRN

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apparently cannot see how to add pictures to this thread... any help there?
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that's entirely up to you. The 24v is more complex but is worth more for a collector. For me I want to enjoy my Jeep. It was already 24v so I kept everything that way.
Your call
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
MattyT

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a project with your son, knowledge is power! I see a tremendous opportunity for you and him to play a real life game of Clue and Risk all rolled up in one called, The M-38. It's an addicting game. I would sit down and develop the plan with him. As you will see unfold on this site, the knowledge of the game played on this site is fun, frustrating, and most of all exhilarating!

I have learned SO SO much just by observing and digesting all of the posts on this site. My biggest mistake was thinking I wanted the grandest of M-38's out there, frame up restoration, buy buy buy, no planning etc. I DIDN't plan any where near as Wes advocated.

My own personal suggestion, Plan what you want to do and execute the plan while USING the vehicle. For example, if you decide you want to go back to 24v, Research how it works, inventory what you have, list what you'll need, acquire all materials (all done while using the vehicle) and plan the down time with a realistic completion date. Then return to using the vehicle and repeat the process for another part of the M-38 you want to prepare. Before you know it, your son will be driving you around.

My pennies worth of advice,
Good luck!!

Last edited by MattyT on Tue May 02, 2017 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello XYRN.

Sounds odd calling someone by that. If you would include a signature element in your posts with at least your given human name and the year make model of your jeep it would make future conversations more personal and friendly.

Each of our specialized discussion boards have a stick section that retains notifications and instructions at the top of the board. Please be sure to at least read those stickies on the board you are posting on.

This board is for members to list their project and continually update this post as the project matures. So hopefully that is your intent.

We have a separate board for posting photos and photo album issues. It is titled: Photo Posting & Gallery requests/problems
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=9

Enjoy our web site and your project.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
XYRN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your honest feedback! Wes, I also appreciate the heads-up on forum etiquette and filled in my profile a little more with my name, location, vehicle info, etc.

So here's an update of the progress so far. While the Jeep was able to start, and had brakes, clutch and gears, it was certainly not able to be driven. I removed the fuel tank first off and got most of the rusty scale from inside and ran new fuel lines and new inline fuel filter. At this point it still wouldn't run on it's own and I diagnosed it down to two problems. First off, the fuel pump was not producing the volume it sounds like it should've and the carb was in desperate need of a rebuild.

I am very happy to report that my son and I took our maiden voyage yesterday!!! While it was only a few blocks, it was SO SATISFYING!!! I will work on getting some pictures uploaded so you guys can see where we started and how it progresses!!!
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the addiction. Take my advice, at some point you will stop counting how much it has cost you in dollars. It won't matter. The time you and your boy get to spend together is invaluable.

As for what direction to go, you're in a good spot where a little bit of work will get you rolling while you figure that out for yourself. Get out there and drive. Go to some shows and spend hours researching. By doing that you will form a picture of what you want your M38 to be.

M38 CDN
52-30718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: