Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1C S/N 91397
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1C S/N 91397

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikalimnos

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: M38A1C S/N 91397 Reply with quote

Following previous conversation below are a walk around toor on my 1963 M38A1C which I have valid reasons to believe that was purpose build from factory as a recoiless rifle carrier. All views and comments are welcome!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ikalimnos

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here are some pics from body tab after sandblasting and closing some of the openings. I regret to say that 12 years ago I lacked the experience to value my jeep. If I did it again to today the restoration would be totally different...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BBDE

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice projekt.

I agree in, that your A1C windshield frame was factory build.
The entire Vehicle is hard to tell.
A few years ago, I owned a factory build and a field build M38A1C.

They are different in details, like the windshield frame.

But all of them have had the same issue:

Sincerely
Frank
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you old M38A1C owners can list serial numbers and let us know which serials had which traits.

Frank,
How do you sort the factory windshield from the field mod windshield?

Are you aware that the field installation kit came with a new and different part numbered windshield with glass and the kit instructions, MWO ORD G758-W3 directed the old windshield be stripped of wipers, plumbing and bumpers and those parts be installed on the new windshield, ORD Part Number 8710812 that came in the kit ORD Part Number 5702019? There is a strong probability that windshields that appear to be field modified original Willys windshields may well be field modified to replace a kit installed windshield damaged beyond repair to avoid purchasing a complete kit just for a replacement M38A1C windshield.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ikalimnos

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By my small investigation you can tell the field modified vehicles from purpose built, from the remainings of the tranverse crossmembers on the back side. Modified 'A1s had the remainings of this crossmembers both inside and outside. If you see the pictures of my tab that I posted above you see that there is complete absense of this crossmembers both inside and outside.

I found about this when I tried to install the hooks for holding the frame of the rear passenger seat and there was nowhere to put it!

BBDE

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Wes,

in my opinion, the factory build Windshield frame donīt have the canvas top retainer channel.

The Field modificaded Frames are simple cut out standart frames, that have the channels still on.

The two welded on nuts for the passenger wiper motor are on both, exept the hole for the wiper itself on the "factory build" one.

Or is that a myth?

The M38A1C was not designed to have a canvas top on.

And sorry, the data plates where gone before I get the A1Cīs.
One was buils up as a static display for an exhibition in Berlin

the other (same as on top) was converted to a normal A1 "fun driver", before it was sold. All the specific parts are going with it.

But I still have two "normal 1963? build A1īs in the Serialnumber range of 945xx and 948xx with the Kaiser prefix 7105

Sincerely
Frank

EDIT:
You canīt fix the rear seat hooks not on a A1C.
There is nothing to put them on, otherwise on a A1

EDIT 2

Thanks Wes, for that detailed Information about the MWO and part numbers
ikalimnos

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Said Frank,

Nice to see another Ex-Greek Army A1C

Do you rememeber the GA registration number?

Mine was the 27030
ROBCDN3

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to All. I have a 71 A1C CDN 3 one of the last ones built for the Canadian Army. I have the canvas top that went over the 106 so I think they did come with the windscreen channels. Mine spent time in the Nato forces in Germany. Nice A1C`s you guys have . Cheers Rob
ikalimnos

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some very well known but always nice to view pics from A1C's, most of them from US Army in Germany.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Frank,
Looking at the total collection of 8 windshields in this post I see only 2 carry the canvas top channel. When I view the many other photo collections I see very few canvas top channels.

Noting that the MWO is dated 1955 the kit was available in the field for many years. Many were procured and installed in the field. The kits clearly contain the smooth top factory windshield and knowing how the Army did it's business the new smooth top windshield went on the converted jeep just as directed in the MWO. Those few found today with the canvas top groove are most probably field replacements for a severely damaged A1C previously converted jeep's original kit windshield. I would not use the windshield presence as a determining factor in wether or not the jeep was factory built or field kit converted.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: