Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Clutch issue - grind in downshift from 2nd to 1st
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clutch issue - grind in downshift from 2nd to 1st

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arse

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Clutch issue - grind in downshift from 2nd to 1st Reply with quote

Hey everyone. Finally got the jeep driving this weekend after a few months of rehab. Rebuilt carb, fixed gas tank, new battery, rebuilt starter and generator, new brake system, new brake/Clutch cross arm, etc. She purrs like a kitten (Or big cat). Anyway, on her maiden ride, I noticed the gears grind when I try to downshift from 2nd to 1st. Can't get it into gear without forcing it (which I didn't do). I have little to no experience with clutches. She shifts fine on the way up, and ok from 3rd to 2nd, but won't go 2nd to 1st.

1952 m38

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick
TGP

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st gear is non synchronized.
So when going from 2nd to 1st you have do rev the engine with the clutch
Out and trans. in neutral to a approx. RPM that the engine will be turning
Once you complete the shift and let the clutch out again.

Practice.
Also the faster your going the higher the rev. so keep it slow as not to over rev the engine.
Make sense?

Good Luck
Tom
"52" M37 WW
"47" WDX WW
My Album
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album471&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Arse

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. I'm new to the M jeeps. I've had a 74 cj5 for about 12 years and this is my first flatfender. I love it and have had such good time working on it.

Revving the engine seems to defeat the purpose of down shifting but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help.
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us just come to a stop to engauge 1st. You can damage the gears and put metal into everything else. Just not worth it. Matching Engine RPM with gear rotation is something professional truck drivers take for granted. Me, I'm not one of those!!! Cool
Arse

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I gave it a try tonight when I got home from work. Didn't work all that well for me. Couldnt match the rpms and clutch. Clearly I'm not a long haul truck driver, so I'll stick to stopping from 2nd haha

Thanks guys
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started driving in the 50's. Just about every 3 speed manual had an un-synchronized 1st gear and a very wide range 2nd gear. We always stopped first then 1st gear.

To downshift manually to an un-synchronized 1st gear requires a flywheel RPM that matches the RPM of the tranny's input shaft. This takes a lot of experience and without that experience usually ends with big chips out of the 1st gear teeth. Hardly worth it in our jeeps.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to click on the "Downloads" section of this website. Inside you will find all the operator's, parts and maintenance manuals for your jeep. A thorough read will answer a lot of your questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: