Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Want A quieter transmission and transfer case ?
FS M100 Trailer
Ruff running engine, help plz
Southwest Florida
M38 tool box lids.
M38A1 axe mount
M38 Late Firewall Question - Unused Hole Cover Plates
M38A1 Door Hinge
64 m38a1 for sale
M38 Tailgate question

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 Wiring Harness Alternative?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 Wiring Harness Alternative?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w30bob

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: M38A1 Wiring Harness Alternative? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I've decided to replace my main wiring harness in my A1, as it's a total mess. Between all the splices, changes, mods, etc there's really not much of the original harness left, and what there is is brittle and cracking. I'm not real fond of forking out many hundreds of dollars for a few wires and Douglas connectors, so I was looking at using a NOS M170 main harness as a starting point. Seems that most everything is there, as the A1 and 170 are the same, just different lengths. I see those harnesses for sale for $150.

But then I started looking closely at the wiring diagram for the A1 and noticed how familiar it is in comparison to my M37 wiring diagram, which I know by heart. So what I'm wondering is............could I use an NOS M37 harness in my M38A1. Both vehicles use the same electrical components but at different distances away from the light switch. But the M37 wiring should be longer to all components, not shorter.....so no issue there. I can hide any extra wire length by taping it into the harness. I've got tons of NOS M37 harnesses, both for the 2 plug and 1 plug light switch, so maybe this is a cheaper, easier way to go. I've got a few new regulator harnesses from the 60 amp kits that I can customize in length....so no problem there either. I will need to make a headlight harness for the A1, but I've got other junk harnesses that I can use for that.

So my question is...........does anybody see anything majorly wrong with using an M37 main harness as a starting point to replace my A1 harness? Am I overlooking something?

thanks,
bob
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem. Most of the older M series harness' are easily adapted. I have used old M35 harness' for my m38 and m38A1 in the past. I have a current M38 I am installing an M35 harness in now.

Since you mentioned the tons of M37 harnes you have, my 54 M37 is in need of a new harness. Are you willing to part with one?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that. Will you part with another? I can PM if you'd rather take it off line. Please let me know.
1954 M100 <Dunbar Kapple M750759, dod 1/54 to the U.S.M.C.>

M38 & M100 Photo albums at http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/mo
w30bob

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in reply.....weather has been too nice to be inside. I may have misspoken when I said "tons".....I've got probably 5 or 6 that I've picked up for my M37s over the past few years. When I can get to those harness I will sure look and see if I can spare a few, but a few words of warning. I bought my first M37 about 5 or 6 years ago and being new to MVs didn't know if wiring harnesses were available or not. Thinking they might be hard to come by I started buying them when I found them. When I installed one I quickly realized that these NOS harnesses are OLD. Meaning they look pristine until you install them and expose them to the elements. Then they start to dry and crack at a very rapid rate and you'd be lucky to get a few years out of them if you're lucky. We're talking rubber insulation that's in some cases 60 years old.

I've decided that I'm going to make all new harnesses from scratch for my M37 using an NOS harness as a pattern, and use the latest automotive wire, which will outlast me. I just haven't found the time to do it yet. I also have a little organization problem with my parts. I can tell you what room they're in, just not where in the room. And it's a big room.

Bottom line is yes, I can probably part with a harness or two, but you'll have to bear with me until I can find what I've got. If you're in a hurry you're best bet would be to contact Brian Asbury. I got a lot of my electrical stuff from him and he's got M37 harnesses last time I checked. He gets around $200 for an NOS one and is a top notch guy. You guys probably know him already. If not PM me and I'll give you his contact info.
Again, sorry for the delay.

thanks,
bob
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He gets around $200 for an NOS one
Are these the same NOS you have that have well exceeded their shelf life and crack & crumble quickly when exposed to the atmosphere?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: