Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Ruff running engine, help plz
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ruff running engine, help plz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saberr

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Ruff running engine, help plz Reply with quote

Finished my 64 m38a1, but its started to act weird. It's started to run ruff, and and only runs evenly when choke pulled out. But it drives fine, great power and no choking going up hill or straight, hit 55 in it and just sang along, not a hiccup when going. Once warmed up put choke in and it will idle forever, but you can hear it surging at idle. This all yells vacuum leak, and I've checked all the connections, and even smoke tested the whole thing, NOTHING. The fuel pump was rebuild by then and now, a company rebuilt carter ys, and i even rebuilt it again with Midwest's kit. Pull idle screw out and it kills engine, but the idle with out choke has to be higher than should be. Have checked the float and its at 5/16. Fuel lines new and tanks is lined and vented. Great compression on all pistons. When i put my hand over air horn, it revs up, and i noticed, the windshield wipers have slowed down as well. It screams vacuum leak, but there are no leaks to be found, even smoke just traveled through all the lines. Totaly confounded.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any fording ventilation piping installed?

Have you checked for a leak between the carburetor and intake
manifold?
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Saberr

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fording has been restored, and is working, smoked the whole engine nothing. Even sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and no change.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - I don't see a set of compression readings taken after the engine started running poorly, nor do I see any fuel pump pressure and flow numbers, nor do I see any recorded vacuum gauge readings tied to RPM readings! What RPM are you setting the idle at now?

2 - Is the fording knob full in and both valves full open?

3 - Is the fuel tank filler vent and tank vent both open? Tested to insure not plugged?

4 - Does your wiper "T" have the restrictor installed on the leg that feeds the distributor vent?

5 - Is the accelerator pump discharge check ball and weight in place?

6 - Are both diaphragm springs located correctly?
If you rebuilt your carb using the TM 9-1826A the illustration on page 114 is erroneous.

Original Illustration has BB in wrong location

In this illustration I edited BB to it's correct location.

7 - Do you have the correct spring in each position? They are different!!! Do you have the correct metering rod for the YS950S?

8 - Are you certain you have your carb adjusted to the correct specifications?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: