Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Odd M38 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd M38 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davem201m38

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Odd M38 ? Reply with quote

Hi all,

this has turned up in the UK, it threw me for a while.

When I thought it was a genuine M38 I was interested but looking closer it appears a bit of an oddity, any ideas?
Cheers, Dave,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282545062832?ul_noapp=true
45auto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well............I seen one of these at the National MVPA Convention last week in Cleveland Ohio. However, I didn't take pictures or study it that much. I view it as so rare I would never see another.

if we are lucky, a clear picture of the jeep will show up in the next issue of Army Motors when they cover the Convention. It was at the very front so its possible.

What I remember of it is:
It was a restored CJ2A with a display of the jeep in use. It was harvest Tan which would show up well amidst the sea of Olive Drab. The sign beside it said it was a 1946 CJ2A outfitted for ???? (something overseas, I believe something to do with the Press Corps) and it had provisions for the Axe and Shovel like the M38 and a few other M38 like features. However, the one on display had the CJ2A windshield along with the Civilian style CJ top.

The one in the UK, as compared to the one on display, has been changed to look like a M38.

If I knew I was going to be tested, I would have taken notes and pictures. However the main point of this post is to let you know that a CJ2A was made with what we consider M38 features for a specific use. I would think the jeep is quite rare, more so here in the states.

Anybody else attend the MVPA Convention??
MVPA #6833
1945 GPW
1950 CJV-35/U
1951 M38 1952 M38
1962 USMC Contract M38A1
1953 Strick M100 1967 Johnson M416
1968 CJ5 4-Speed 1969 CJ5 V6
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

It's a CJ3A with a few minor additions such as the BO lamps in the grill. The grill is clearly CJ3A as is the frame and the windshield. The tub is not an M38 but may be a late M201. The handles and rear tire carrier are WWII or M201.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
WillysMotors
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was at the show. The yellow CJ you are recalling was a CJ2A with an early ACME aftermarket' universal' tub with both CJ and M38 features.
Besides those inaccurate details, the repro tubs still have the wrong radius on the side steps.

It was a nice looking Jeep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: