Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - National Judging Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National Judging Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w30bob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: National Judging Question Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I've never been to a national MVPA event where the best restored vehicles are on display, so hence my question.........when the M38 and A1 were built on the assembly line many of the components installed, such as the gauges, tail lights, shackles, etc were pre-painted OD by their suppliers. So when they were installed on the vehicles on the assembly line they were probably a few different shades of OD paint on these parts. Did the vehicles leave the factory with parts in different shades of OD......or did they give the vehicle a good masking and give it a final re-spray of OD to make everything the same color?

I'm asking this because almost all of the restored vehicles I see at the meets I go to.........which I guess you'd call "motorpool" restorations......always have every part the same color. That's easy to do when you're restoring something, but I'm wondering if the best of the best restorations are supposed to have parts that are different shades of OD.....as I'm guessing they would have been when the vehicles left the assembly plant.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm sure you guys have been to national meets or restored some jeeps to the highest standards......so what say ye?

thanks,
bob
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I don't have a current judging standard for the MVPA, but that is where I would start.

Now as we know there were paint chip codes distributed by the Federal Government and when a paint color was specified the book was referenced in matching a color. - FED SPEC 595 is one of those books.

Do search function on here and you can read all about the color codes, etc.

Anyway, I am sure there were slight color differentiations. Going through NOS packaged parts date coded during M38 production, I have found slight color variations and sometimes the part number was stamped in yellow on the part and some parts were not painted.

Without the BOM (Bill of Materials) for the M38 it is difficult to tell what type of finish/markings were specified for each part. Some day it may yet turn up.

With that said, I don't want to stir anything up and at the end of the day we don't know 100%.

This posting is just some observations I have made over the years and not a definitive pronouncement.
Cool
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

The MVPA doesn't make it's judging guide available to the membership. You should visit their web site and pose your question directly to them.

They have a judging description page: http://www.mvpa.org/vehicle-judging/

A technical advisor page: http://www.mvpa.org/resources/technical-advisors/

And a judging form download page: http://www.mvpa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Jeep-Judging-Form.pdf

Jeep tech advisors are:
Quote:
¼-TON MB/GPW

Paolo Batisti (Italy) #5752
George Baxter (PA) #874
Phil Braeger (SD) #12655
Ron Fitzpatrick (OR) #14122
Bill Kish (NY) #4126
Brent Mullins (TX) #1230
Tom Wolbold (OH) #3676

SN,DOD,Eng. SN, Gov’t Reg. #

Lloyd White (OR) #134C
Tom Wolboldt (OH) #3676

¼-TON M38

Phil Braeger (SD) #12655

¼-TON M38A1

George Baxter (PA) #874
Phil Braeger (SD) #12655
Brent Mullins (TX) #1230
Warren Duchesne (LA) #5135

Their contact page: http://www.mvpa.org/contact-us/

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: