Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Steering knuckle lubrication
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering knuckle lubrication

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m3a1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Steering knuckle lubrication Reply with quote

Guys, I've researched this thoroughly and I think I know what I will need for starting fresh with new lube for the bendix joint within the steering knuckle but, what are YOU using and under WHAT CLIMATE CONDITIONS are you using it?

There are no 'correct' answers. If you are following the guidance of the TM for use of GAA, or have employed what you believe to be an equivalent to GAA, please share with us what it is.

If what you are using is working for you, then you've also clearly made the right choice.

If you've never given lubrication for the steering knuckle much thought, here is a good starting point. -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLGI_consistency_number

(poll question included)

Cheers,
TJ

Last edited by m3a1 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be sharing your current choice soon or at the end of your Poll? Be sure to keep climate/geography in the equation.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
m3a1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly will, but what I'm looking for at the moment is input from members.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are looking for. my recommendation was to categorize the replies you receive by climate of the person's location. If you ask them where they are from in this same block your responses will have better meaning.

I owned old jeeps in Louisiana in the 70's and in South Dakota in the 80's and Wisconsin since and I did not use the same lubricants at all three of those locations on many items, including the knuckles and pivot bearings. Which it would be a good idea to include a request for replies for both the knuckle joint and the pivot bearings since anything you toss in the big pot will not lube your pivot bearings.

Only trying to help your poll be the "best it can be"

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
m3a1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Query amended!
DC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Was this project completed Reply with quote

Wondering if this project was ever completed. Working on my M38A1 and just looking to see what modern lubes folks have had good luck with.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of us that have been at this jeep life for 10 or more years have already beat this topic to death. There are dozens of threads that cover the last 10 - 15 years of on line discussions. Just google the topic, read the dozens of discussions and draw your own conclusions based on your own situation and needs. Most experienced folks get a bit tired of explaining and re-explaining their choices over and over again in these recent attempts to start a new base line for a very old topic.

RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Shocked

Yes, there's tons of threads to search, and way too many get left ambiguous or open-ended.....(a.k.a. "no help") ---- just like this one. It's sometimes hard to do, but if more folks took the time to close their posts there might be a lot less territory to search for the rest of us less experienced rookies that seek knowledge. <wishful thinking on my part>

Sometimes with questions like yours it's better if you'll post your location DC. Wes has tried repeatedly to hammer that simple task home too. Folks in the same geography as yours might maybe be more inclined to offer their opinion and experiences.

Just a suggestion!

And if you haven't bothered to read the tech manuals before you post a question that could be easily answered if you had ---- stand by! Shocked

My experience: keep searching. The manuals and gold nuggets in this forum are priceless! But you have to do your homework.

Or somebody is going to eat your lunch.

Good luck! Very Happy

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No these type posts are not the rule at all.

Let the man spend an hour googling: "Lube choices for the early 50's jeep steering knuckles

About 140,000 results (0.61 seconds)

Page 1:
Quote:

Search Results
Web results
Proper Grease for Steering Knuckles - The CJ2A Page Forums
https://www.thecj2apage.com/.../proper-grease-for-steering-knuckles_topic14099.htm...
Feb 8, 2010 - 16 posts - ‎13 authors
General Question: I looking for the proper grease to fill my steering knuckles on a '47 CJ2A. ... Points: 81, Post Options ... 47 cj2a 48cj2a 04tj 99ford dually diesel and a rhino just added a 62 jeep pickup. Back to .... Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962.
Cornhead or "00" grease or knuckle pudding - The ... 18 posts Nov 25, 2018
Steering Knuckle Lube - The CJ2A Page Forums - Page 1 18 posts Jun 30, 2012
Steering knuckle lube - The CJ2A Page Forums - Page 1 18 posts Mar 25, 2011
Steering box Grease/Oil - The CJ2A Page Forums - Page 1 18 posts May 1, 2010
More results from www.thecj2apage.com
Steering Knuckle Lubrication on CJ3B.info
https://www.cj3b.info/Tech/SteeringKnuckles.html
Mar 2, 2017 - How to lubricate the steering knuckles and the axle joints inside them has ... Perhaps the most important point is: the choice of lubricant depends ... My Jeep has a Dana 25 front end with Bendix axle shafts. ... The early manual discusses service for the Rzeppa joint, the Bendix joint and also the Spicer joint.
Missing: 50's ‎| ‎Must include: ‎50's
Jeep and Other 4x4s: Closed Steering Knuckle Lubricant — Moses ...
https://www.4wdmechanix.com/4x4+closed+steering+knuckle+lubricant
Apr 22, 2015 - Lubricants for 4WD Willys and Jeep Closed-Knuckle Front Axles ... Resealing the closed axle knuckles is a routine service on vintage Jeep vehicles. ... “Sodium base lubricants are used at the factory for initial fill of the ..... So, strictly for the steering knuckle, my contemporary lube choices reflect your findings ...
Knuckle Lubrication.... Again.... | ECJ5 - early CJ5
www.earlycj5.com › Forums › Jeep Tech Discussions › Flat Fender Tech
Apr 1, 2017 - I've decided to try this instead of mixing up a batch of 'knuckle ... like the same thing as corn head grease which is a popular choice. ... colojeepguy Colorado Springs Sponsor .... Steering Knuckle Lubrication on CJ3B.info.
Missing: 50's ‎| ‎Must include: ‎50's
Possible Knuckle and steering gear lube - Page 2 - G503 Military ...
https://forums.g503.com › ... › MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base
Jul 15, 2016 - 15 posts - ‎9 authors
Bottom line is that a steering knuckle serviced according to the TM will retain sufficient lube. ... I have Data that the speed of the 4 Cyl Jeep of the 40's-50's is 35 ... My original post has brought out several other lubricants and new ideas . .... made for CV joints (Sta-Lube) when I put it together in the early 80's.
Grease or oil in the steering box ? 15 posts Mar 5, 2015
Dana 25 question... knuckle grease? 14 posts Jun 25, 2011
Steering knuckle repair and lube - Page 2 14 posts Apr 28, 2010
steering knuckle lube 12 posts Mar 23, 2003
More results from forums.g503.com
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-Steering Knuckles
www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t...
Sep 2, 2009 - 9 posts - ‎8 authors
The threads on the knuckle will no longer hold a 3/8" X 24 bolt. There seems to .... GAA grease. The CJ's mad the switch late 50's early 60's to .
Proper steering knuckle lube - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
https://forums.off-road.com/jeepster...jeepster.../226082-proper-steering-knuckle-lube...
Aug 9, 2007 - 7 posts - ‎5 authors
Can anyone tell me what the proper weight lube is to put in the fill holes on my 68 Jeepter steering knuckles? The Service Manual just gives a ...
Images for Lube choices for the early 50's jeep ...
Image result for Lube choices for the early 50's jeep steering knuckles
More images for Lube choices for the early 50's jeep steering knuckles
Report images
Web results
Dana 44, 44HD Parts to fit 1955-1973 International Front Axle
https://torqueking.com › ... › 1955-1975 IHC 4x4 Front Drive Axles
Items 1 - 12 of 63 - In the mid 1950s, what most folks now call the Dana 44 Standard Closed ... The 3/4 ton FA15 was the sole production 4x4 axle choice International ... International first used the Model 44HD FA18 closed knuckle front axle as an .... QU11164 1-3/4 Thread Spindle Hex Nut for Dodge, IHC, Jeep Dana 44.
Steering box lube-what to use? | Old Willys Forum
https://www.oldwillysforum.com › ... › Wagons and Pickups Discussion Forum
Sep 17, 2011 - What do you folks use for lube in your Ross steering boxes? ... First Name: Lee ... Head stuff in my steering knuckles maybe I will put it in the steering box. ... I did find a product for vintage gear and steering boxes, made by ... No such thing as too many Jeeps ... And it's about the cheapest choice out there.
Ads
Thread: Steering Knuckle Lubrication‎
Adwww.kaiserwillys.com/‎ (888) 574-2401
Rating for kaiserwillys.com: 4.8 - 500 reviews
Vintage Jeep Parts & Equipment. Everything You Need For Restoration. Free Shipping Over $98. Great Jeep Resources. Expert Customer Service. Best Price & Quality. Types: Engine Parts, Electrical Parts, Exterior Parts, Used Parts.
Contact Our ExpertsRead Our BlogShop By CategoryDownload Our CatalogJeep Engine Parts
Jeep Knuckle on eBay | Seriously, We Have Jeep Knuckle‎
Adwww.ebay.com/‎
Rating for ebay.com: 4.6
Free Shipping Available. Buy Jeep knuckle on eBay. Money Back Guarantee! Fill Your Cart With Color. Top Brands. Fast 'N Free Shipping. Returns Made Easy. Make Money When You Sell. We Have Everything. Huge Savings. World's Largest Selection. >70% Items Are New. Types: Fashion, Motors.
Searches related to Lube choices for the early 50's jeep steering knuckles
closed knuckle lube

steering knuckle lubricant

cj2a knuckle lube

I posted this almost 10 years ago. I gleaned this info from the manuals which is why I preach to folks to do their own share of the research and at least read their free service manuals!

Quote:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
The military manuals all spec'd GP-0 winter and GP-1 summer chassis lube until the 50's when they switched to GAA grease. The CJ's mad the switch late 50's early 60's to . This was checked and topped every 1000 miles and cleaned and repacked every 6000 miles. Very aggressive maintenance scheduling.

The CJ early spec'd Universal Joint grease 0 winter and 1 summer. Check at 1000 and change at 12000.

The later CJ manual starting in the 60's listed GL3 140 WT and service at 2000 and replace at 12000.

Try to keep formost in your mind that the specified lubricants from the 1940 thru 1960 charts are no longer produced. This means you must choose from what is available today. That choice will have to consider the condition of your hubs, the spherical surface condition and the seal condition.

The rougher the condition of your hubs the heavier viscosity oil or grease you must use. 140 gear oil GL3 or equivalent will work in very good hubs. It is also more desirable in the northern latitudes where they become harder to roll in the winter. On the rough end of the spectrum of choices is standard chassis lube in seasonal weights or Ford 600 weight gear oil.

Finally as mentioned above if you have ever experienced a failure of any critical front suspension component that forces you to loose directional control you will never again take cheap or short cut repairs.

Ron, This is not about Wes K being a PITA, it's about Wes K asking folks to do their share and come to our discussion table with their fair share of the research already done!

RonD2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ron, This is not about Wes K being a PITA, it's about Wes K asking folks to do their share and come to our discussion table with their fair share of the research already done!

Hi Wes. While I might call you things sometimes, PITA isn't one of them! I couldn't agree more that folks should do their homework before asking questions that you (and others) have already answered many many times before or are readily evident just by reading the manuals.

I figure it's common courtesy. The least we can do is come prepared, and it's not that hard to do.

My post was mostly meant to reinforce what you've already said hundreds of times before, to maybe preempt you from having to repeat yourself --- yet again. Maybe it's not my place to do that. If you'd rather I didn't, say so and I'll surely bite my tongue.

You've freely given so much to this forum and hobby, and I'm absolutely convinced my knowledge wouldn't be anywhere near what it is without you, willysmjeeps, and the other guru's in the membership that pity us knuckleheads. I have a long way to go and not only greatly appreciate what you've done and do, but your knowledge, experience, expertise, ---and most especially ---- your patience!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: