Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Leaf Springs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Leaf Springs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tembek

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: M38 Leaf Springs Reply with quote

Ok, guys. I've tried to read all the previous posts on this topic and also 1804B. I'm seriously confused. The manual states clearly that the rear springs are 11 leaf. My M38 has one rear with 11 and one with 10. The one with 11 clearly has an extra leaf jammed in there - thicker and without the side bevels. So I ordered a new set from Kaiser - and they stated clearly the correct replacement for the M38 is 9 leaves. Most of the other sites that supply springs also show 9 leaves for the M38 - even Walck.

So what gives? What are the correct springs, or best springs for me to use?

And then, assuming the springs I received from kaiser are ok, what gives with the miss-sized brackets? That can't be normal can it?

Bretto

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you figured out how to post the pic. Very Happy
Tembek

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, no. I opened the pic from your note and was able to copy the url. I don't know why I get a different address when I open a picture in my gallery. I'm using Apple - so that probably has something to do with it!

Am I correct that we can only post pictures that are already in our gallery?

Thanks for the help!
4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the clips that hold the leaves together
or the second leaf with the eye in the end?

If the clips they are supposed to be further in towards the axle.

That will take up a lot of the slack you see there.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Tembek

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the clips that hold the leaves together. There are four on each spring. You can see in the picture that they don't bend down against the top leaf.

Jim
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only confusion on spring leaf count appears to be with your selected vendors. The M38 left Willys with 10 in the front and 11 in the rear, PERIOD. TM 9-8012, TM 9-804, TM 9-1804B and ORD 9 SNL G-740 all agree on 10 & 11. Civvy replacements are a problem with leaf count and spring pivot eye bolt diameter. So be cautious just what you buy from vendors who offer REPLACEMENTS and not original production springs.

The only variations that enter this equation are the spring rebound clips. Bolted thru vs the late introduction of outer (small end) wrap type when the Army started procuring replacement springs from a second manufacturer. Do a search here for that information that can be found in several discussions.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are attempting a show quality restoration, you'll need to find originals. I know of no replacement springs that are correct. Walcks sells made in the USA springs which are very nice. Crown and Omix Ada springs are not as nice. Even Rancho springs. They all will work with some modification for the ends. M38 and M38A1 are not the same!!!!!! If you study the M38, the front springs have a clip where they removed the cross bolt and bent the ends over. This is to miss the tie rod directly over it. I have a set just like your pictured ones on my GPW. They work fine, but are not show items. John
Tembek

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it turns out my springs are original but someone stuck an extra leaf in one. The springs are 11 leaf, beveled edges and the eyes are 7/8", the pivot bolt is 7/16".

Now the good news - I have a spring shop that can re-arch, re-temper them.

Now the problem - I can't find the spec on the spring ARCH. Does anyone have that info? I don't see anything in 1804B or the other manuals.

Help!

Jim
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1804B gives you the eye to eye unloaded length. The spring shop can work from that figure.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Tembek

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow am I confused.

1804B gives the eye-to-eye distance as 42". But I'm pretty sure that is the length along the curve of the spring - in other words if you flattened the spring it would be 42". That length matches the leaf length in the parts manual.

My springs are exactly 42" eye-to-eye along the curve of the spring. Unloaded they are 41.5" eye-to-eye straight across.

Here's what manufacturers advise:

The Right Way To Measure Leaf Springs
You need to measure the spring as though the spring were flat. Relax, that doesn’t mean you need to learn advanced calculus. All you need is this handy picture and your own trusty measuring tape.

Leaf Spring Diagram (shows measurement along the curve)

Divisional Length
A.) Follow the curve of the spring, measuring from the center of the front eye back to the center bolt
B.) Then, measure from the center of the other eye back to the center bolt.
Record the length like so: “24 inches x 24 inches” or maybe “21 inches by 27 inches,” depending on your measurements and center bolt location.
These measurements are called the divisional length.
You see, when you give the length of a spring as two lengths going from the center of each eye to the center bolt, you kill two birds with one stone and give us the location of the center bolt as well.
Spring Arch
Spring arch is measured by splitting the center of the spring’s eyes with a straight edge. (Grab a yardstick or anything you can reasonably call straight.)
DanS

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-arching is fine, but, I wouldn't expect the new arch to last. They seem to have memory that returns them to their old condition pretty soon. Good luck.
GPW 14944 dod 4/10/42
K38 Linemans Trailer 4/43
M100 Trailer 01177488 dod 8/51
Tembek

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably right but I think I'll give it a try.
Tembek

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone point me at a CJ2A manual or reference that provides the leaf lengths for the front and rear HD springs. As near as I can determine the M38 springs are identical to the CJ2A later HD springs except of the pivot eye. I'd like to confirm the leaf lengths from a known reference.

M38 Rear: WO-801659 (7/8" pivot eye) = CJ2A WO-645864 SRI no. 97-255 (FCB 3/4" pivot eye)

M38 Front: WO-801619 (7/8" pivot eye) = CJ2A WO-645548 SRI no. 97-170 (FCB 3/4" pivot eye)

The unloaded arch according to SRI will be 4 3/8" and 3 1/2" respectively.

SRI (Spring Research Intl.) is an industry database that leaf spring manufacturers depend on for standard spring dimensions. The CJ2A springs are listed, but the M38 are not.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maintain a wee bit of patience. I am waiting for Keith to get back to me with the factory drawing info for the springs. He was at the Agri-Jeep show and should be able to round up the info tomorrow thru Fri. You will find the CJ2A/3A spring data much more complex then just standard & heavy Duty!

Tembek

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's great Wes. Thanks! Standing by sir.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: