Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - mdainsd's M38 project
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mdainsd's M38 project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget also that as a motor pool restoration versus factory,
you have a lot more leeway as to parts that may have been removed,
replaced, or installed over the military life of an M38.

A couple of examples. The dash fuel primer was removed on many units
and the hole plugged with a 3/4" plug. The fuel pump could have been and
was probably changed over the years. The M38A1 pump with lever was one replacement.

To paraphrase what Wes has explained the military system did not specify that a part replaced on an M38 had to be identical in every respect to the original factory part, but that it was a suitable replacement that was available
and listed as so in the system.

The wider latitude for parts afforded by pursuing a motor pool restoration
can help in your search for parts as well as help the price.

Take care,
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how Bretto converted a 2A hood to an M38 clone:

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6678&highlight=hood

I have the template for the cutout if RickG or Bretto don't.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Observations,
Going back over your photos.

I see indications of the screw holes for the individually applied dash plates.
Two hole older style clutch inspection cover.
Evidence of the fording plate at the top hole above the throttle.
Evidence of a "Good Driver" decal on the glove box door.
First version of the gauge panel with breaker and connector clips.
24 volt gauges. Is your rig still 24 volts?
24 volt ignition switch. Douglas connectors on the back?

And man, look at that first aid bracket! Something else you don't have to buy!

Looking at your grille (radiator guard).
668124 translates at Kaiser Willys ( I know...) to a CJ2 CJ3A civvy grille with protruding marker lights. Certainly not what you have here.

663536 is what they show as the CJ2A radiator guard with recessed lights, similiar to the M38 version. In any case your radiator guard looks correct.
It also has the screw holes for the headlight brush guards.

673249 is the WO number in the Ord 9 G740.

Can we see photos of the engine and compartment?
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I will share pictures of the engine and compartment, but its all CJ2A.

re your comments:

I see indications of the screw holes for the individually applied dash plates. Ill look closer.

Two hole older style clutch inspection cover. Yes

Evidence of the fording plate at the top hole above the throttle. Yes, have since installed a fording plate

Evidence of a "Good Driver" decal on the glove box door. yeah maybe, closer in size to the civvy shift plate.

First version of the gauge panel with breaker and connector clips. Yes. i put that in, it came with no instrument panel.

24 volt gauges. Is your rig still 24 volts? Its currently 12V but Im changing that as soon as i source all the 24 V nonsense LOL. The panel is all Douglas 24 V, hard to find in nice condition. All new old style lighting fixtures on panel.

24 volt ignition switch. Douglas connectors on the back? Has the flying leads to change to Douglas

First aid bracket it there. Missing is the J bolt Sad

The grille is truly unique. I have yet to correspond with anyone who has ever seen one of those. Its works the treat with my CJ chassis as it mounts to it correctly but is M38 in every other respect. CJ headlight openings will not accept M38 buckets.

Ive installed the engine primer pump, new throttle, fording and choke cables. i have the top bows, but had to round up the misc brackets, now all on hand.

One idea I have running through my head is recreate "Willys Test Jeep X-23" a pre-production test bed for underwater operation. there is a picture in the book, and I even found a video of it being tested at Marineland in Florida. So hard to tell, but looks like a CJ hood with the Willys letters highlighted and yet a grille that looks like an M38...hmmm, where have we seen that before?
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pictures as requested...

Engine from passenger side:

1/4 view:

Front on:

Quarter Driver:

[/list]
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And some more:

Newest addition. But I couldn't make sense of the book if this is the earliest or if I screwed up...I have the fender mount and the spring mount that ties the two together.

dash progress:

4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress!

I think I have the same oil filter.

Yep, I'd say that nibbled hole in the firewall was for an aftermarket
paper air filter. Mine was chrome, lol!

Four sheetmetal screws held the back on the firewall.
Does the hole go through the battery box?
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim's got your generator over on the for sale page!
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the early starter! I sent him a PM already. Mine has the early bell housing so it should be compatible with the troublesome early starter.

Yes, hole goes through from side of battery box. I sourced a new battery box and while its out I'll restore the filter studs correctly...

Just picked up an M38 carb locally. Cool

Last edited by mdainsd on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was the older starter!

Got a back seat? I think springs are the way to go.

See how easy it is?

How's your wiring?
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are planning on removing the battery box
consider patching it unless it's rotten.

Save the money for something else!
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiring, Im starting from scratch. As director of Engineering at one of the largest aerospace connector and interconnect companies I know my way around them, Just finished the harnesses for my M37. Truly ready for Concourse de 'Arrogance.

I use the correct Packard 14ga wire. I source new Douglas parts. Tumble the shells, send them to our platers for re-plating then they are clear coated so they look new for years. The hardest Douglas connector to find is the shell with one hole for the one in two out, but just found that MWM has those and cheap.

I was actually out there working on the harness. I ran into a question. If you look at the wiring diagrams on line, they are all lacking. But what got me be fuddled was the headlight wiring. According to the diagrams the left and right headlight buckets have different harnesses coming out of them. the drivers is normal with 2 short douglas tipped leads and one terminated with a ring terminal (ground). The passenger one though has leads long enough to go over the radiator to the other headlight where they join in those one in two out douglass connectors. i thought that was crazy, but then on eBay pops up a set of headlight buckets and laying there in the picture is the wiring that truly is as I described and the diagrams show.

Oh and just picked up a NOS rear harness of eBay for cheap. Its a Greek version so it has colored wires, but I don't care, yet.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes John's Douglas parts are as cheap as you can buy.

That Greek harness is nice. Heck, cover it all up with the black tape and
who can tell? That and those rear harness connectors for the light switch
are tricky to come by. There are several aux connectors on eBay when you get
that far.

I bought a Douglas connector crimping tool a year ago on eBay
for cheap. Think out of the box. Descriptions sometimes are wrong
or not specific.

Are you saying your radiator guard won't take the M38 buckets?
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. My guard takes the M38 buckets. It won't take CJ buckets. BTW M715 and M725 Jeep truck headlight buckets work in M38s, just got to change the packards over to douglas. Funny thing is they are douglas on the inside. Some others on another forum were telling my my grille is CJ. They don't know what they are talking about.

The greek harness only has colors showing at the switch connector, which can't be seen after installation and at the ends which are under the wiring protectors so can't be seen. The rest is black tape same as US. I couldn't buy the parts to make that harness for what i paid for it.

So I guess we got a deal going on the starter and generator, Im heading over to a friend to wrestle him for a early regulator. Twisted Evil
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headlight wiring. Remember there are connectors inside the buckets as well.
I'm guessing so a headlight can be replaced without affecting the harness itself.

Take a look at the TM9-8012 pages 199, 203 and 207.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: