Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - m38 seat cushions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

m38 seat cushions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xamon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what my seat had, only the canvas was in worse shape. To me the cord looked like it was made of small strips of paper as strange as that sounds.
w30bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Brian..........when you say prototype are you saying the cord in my cover shouldn't be there? I think it was standard upholstering practice back in the day, if it's still not now, to use a guide rope or cable sewn into all seat upholstery. I'm thinking seat covers should have the guide rope sewn in.........no?

Interesting pic of another pan I found on Google. It's from this forum but I'm not sure how you insert previous post pics in a current post.....so I just copied the URL and hit the URL button above the text box. Is that how you do it? Doesn't seem to do it for me.

If you look closely at the pan the little triangles are bent in the opposite direction compared to those on my pan. That won't work, so it must just be the remover got a little overzealous when bending the triangles to remove the cover.

[url]http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7928 [/url]

regards,
bob

Last edited by w30bob on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
w30bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xamon,

If you look real close at the my pic of the rope under the triangle you can just make out the shape of the strands of the rope......they are rectangular and look like they're made of paper. I guess rope was wound with rectangular cross sectional strands back in the day. Laughing

regards,
bob
4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The folks at WeeBee, Wes, John B and others can tell us what was factory.
I don't know, but the rope makes sense. Most auto upholstery I've seen
was/is done this way for the reasons you suggest.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Fox at QTM Parts is selling several sets of cushions
and springs on eBay. Take a look at his photos
for more points of reference.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Willys-M38-M38A1-NOS-LOWER-rear-seat-cushion-EARLY-S-style-springs/292379493603?hash=item44132d04e3:g:oUUAAOSwh1paPAwo
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
w30bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Ok, did a little more digging on Googs and came up with these three pics. The first one is the one from the URL I posted above. I believe black seat pans were used in the CJ vehicles and OD in the M-series. Second pic is from Garbee and the third pic is from CJ2A site. So I'm thinking the proper way to install the seat cover is the way my original pics, the Garbee pic and the CJ2A pics show....with the triangle point facing outbound of the center of the pan.

Whatcha think?

regards,
bob

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4757/39963248952_73b3582886_b.jpg [/img]
w30bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Funny thing is I bought a bunch of seat spring/cushions from Matt over the last few weeks, but the one auction I lost was for the front seat bottoms........ie, the ones we're talking about. But I'll go pull up those pics from the auction.

regards,
bob

Last edited by w30bob on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
w30bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi B,

Ok, here's the pic from the auction a week or so ago. Not easy to tell if the guide rope is there or not........and I jacked with the pic as much as possible to bring out detail. The only thing I'd say is if you look at some of the triangles you can see they are bent curved. If there was no guide rope in the hem they would be pounded flat, not curved, and the tooth wouldn't bite into the canvas, as it needs to. Unless of course you could pre-curve them in some way before you smacked them down with the mallet. From the look of the repop pans..........if they are exactly like originals......the little triangles are flat and unraised until the first time a cover is installed. When you bend them up to allow the cover hem to slide under them you'd have to somehow roll the point first before you smack it to get it to catch the canvas (if there was no guide rope). Seems like a lot of work to roll the points and it could be done wrong easily.........so I'm going with "there should be a guide rope in the cover" for now.

regards,
bob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: