Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Leaf Spring Condition
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaf Spring Condition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w30bob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Leaf Spring Condition Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Shortly after buying my A1 I realized the leaf springs (like just about every other part) that were installed were not correct. They're new looking, but only have 5 or so leaves each.....do definitely aftermarket replacements. I also think my jeep is sitting too high compared to all the pics I've seen of A1's with stock springs.

So I picked up a nice set of rear springs (13 leaf) this Fall at RedBall for $50 and I just got delivered today a set of front springs (12 leaves), also $50, from a Craigslist ad. All 4 springs look great, but I'm wondering if there's a way to check them for sag before I install them? If I stand them up on the floor upside down (so the bushing ends are on the floor and the pad for the axle is up in the air) does anyone have the dimensions for the height of the springs? I had seen some vehicle dimensions on the dash placard.....but not the dims I need. Are those dimensions in any of the manuals........or is there a way to check sag in the field? I don't expect anyone to find that info and post it..........if you can just point me to the manual or manuals that might have it I'd appreciate it. Or maybe someone has an NOS set of either front or rear springs and we can compare dimensions........that would work too. Just don't want to pass up a better set of springs between now and the Spring (when I put what I have in the jeep) if what I have is junk.

thanks,
bob
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search function is your friend.....

Somewhere to start:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8689&highlight=spring+arch
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
w30bob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

I actually did find that post the other day when I was searching........but it didn't have an arch measurement. It was also dated 2014 and I was hoping since then maybe someone had figured out the arch measurement. I know none of the springs I've got are NOS......so my numbers wouldn't mean much. I guess I should have just asked if anyone with NOS springs could grab me an arch measurement. Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Bob
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just use google. A way to use google to search our site is to open the google search page and type in, for example,
Quote:
Springs, M38A1,
willysmjeeps.com

This will be your first hit on google usually:

Quote:
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-M38a1 leaf spring brackets
www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t...
Mar 17, 2013 - 6 posts - ‎4 authors
My m38a1 has some odd suspension problems - one of the front shackles has been welded to the frame toward the outside of the vehicle - I am hoping I can drill or grind out the socket in the frame to get a new shackle in. Because of the poor job someone did welding, the spring was at an angle and the ...
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-M38A1 Distributor springs Sep 20, 2014
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-Distributor springs M38A1/M170 May 13, 2014
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-Distributor Spring m38a1/m170 Apr 1, 2014
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-M38a1 leaf spring question ... Feb 13, 2014
More results from www.willysmjeeps.com

Then click on the last item in that hit:

Quote:
More results from www.willysmjeeps.com

Then the new page that pops up is the one you want to start reading closely:
This is 20 pages with 1100 total entries from willysmjeeps!
This is just the first page of 1100 hits:

Quote:
About 1,100 results (0.31 seconds)
Search Results
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-M38a1 leaf spring question - need ...
Feb 14, 2014 - 6 posts - ‎3 authors
So, everything else checks out, but what should an NOS M38a1 front spring arch measure? I asked the guy what the width of the springs are, but he didn't have that written down. He said there were no numbers stenciled on the springs - just in green primer. The rebound clips are definitely the same as an ...
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-M38a1 leaf spring brackets
Mar 17, 2013 - 6 posts - ‎4 authors
My m38a1 has some odd suspension problems - one of the front shackles has been welded to the frame toward the outside of the vehicle - I am hoping I can drill or grind out the socket in the frame to get a new shackle in. Because of the poor job someone did welding, the spring was at an angle and the ...
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-M38a1 leaf springs and mounting ...
Aug 18, 2013 - 2 posts - ‎2 authors
I recently acquired some take-off leaf springs to replace my existing worn out leaf springs on my 1953 M38a1. The take-off springs don't have the threaded eye for the external threads on my new shackle bushings. My shackles are correct for the year jeep (greaseable U shape - outside of shackle is open).
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-54 m38a1 front springs
Jun 28, 2015 - 7 posts - ‎2 authors
hello everybody im looking for a set of front springs for my 1954 m38a1. I have had a tough time finding some period correct originals. If u have some or know someone with some for sale please let me know. thanks ...
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-M38A1 front leaf springs
Jan 13, 2016 - 3 posts - ‎2 authors
I am in the restoration process on my M38A1 and need to replace the front suspension springs (12 leaf). The one's that are currently on the jeep are not original. I'm looking for NOS replacement one's but can't seem to find them anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-M38A1 Distributor springs
Sep 20, 2014 - 7 posts - ‎4 authors
I am looking for the weight springs for the distributor centrifugal weights. I have searched everywhere for them without success. I read one forum post referencing another that described alternatives. I couldn't find the original post for that. If anyone has: Weight springs they are willing to sell. Or, a distributor ...
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-Distributor Spring m38a1/m170
Apr 2, 2014 - 9 posts - ‎4 authors
Chris they are correct for the F134 in his M170. Do you have the other springs for the earlier L134 distributors? The set PN IGE24S or the individual springs IGE24.
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-m38a1 seats any info
www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file...t...springs
Apr 18, 2013 - 4 posts - ‎2 authors
Question Does anyone have a picture of the seat cushion set up for a m38a1?? all I have is the seat frame of tubing and cross channels.Is there suppose to be a metal pan or are the seat on plywood with foam or are they on springs? any clues would be helpful thank you.
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-M38A1 leaf spring shackles
Aug 3, 2015 - 2 posts - ‎2 authors
Does anyone have pictures of the leaf spring shackles. My m38a1 has the solid bolt on the front of the spring and what looks like is a cj2a shackle on the back of the spring. I noticed a 52 m38a1 had the greaseable front bolt and the back shackle had an extra metal piece that connected the top part of the ...
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-Leaf spring rebuild
Apr 23, 2011 - 11 posts - ‎6 authors
I remember looking at a topic where someone rebuilt the leaf springs, I just went through all 62 pages looking at anything that contained the words leaf spring in the title and found ... This results in what is known as hydrogen embrittlement, which will lead to cracks and failure of the springs. ... '53 M38A1 X2 ...
Ads
Find M38a1 Spring on eBay - Seriously, We have Everything‎
Adwww.ebay.com/‎
Rating for ebay.com: 4.4 - Average delivery time: 1–4 days
Over 70% New & Buy It Now; This is the new eBay. Find M38a1 Spring now!
Ratings:Website 10/10 - Selection 10/10 - Activation 10/10 - Service 9.5/10
Military Jeep Spare Parts‎
Adwww.reomie.com/‎
Surplus parts for Willys MB, M151, M38, CJ Jeep and M-Series Trucks
Next

There were 20 pages of this there!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: