Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 rebuild completed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 rebuild completed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
32sbct

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: M38 rebuild completed Reply with quote

Below are some pictures of my newly completed M38 rebuild. The jeep was owned by my late brother who bought in back in the late 70's. It was a lot of fun but in pretty rough shape. In 1980 it finally broke down for good. He took off the rusted out body and had the motor rebuilt but then life got in the way and he never got back to it. He passed away in 2006 and I got it in late 2009. I started working on it on and off in 2011 and working on it more seriously the last three years.

Before my brother owned it someone converted it to key start, 6 volt, and put in a May of 42 Willys MB motor that has all GPW internals and head. I ruled out a full restoration to original M38 specs because so much was missing, the motor, head, body tub, brackets, vent system, wiring harness, starter, generator, distributor, etc. So my plan was to pretty much rebuild it using what it came with. The MB motor was an early version with the down draft tube so I tried to keep all that together.

I bought an MD Juan reproduction body, hood, fenders, grill, tail gate, and windshield. I wound up using the original fenders, grill, windshield frame, and some of the floor panels because they fit so much better than the reproduction parts. Eighty percent of all the difficulties I had were related to getting things to fit on the body. Without the new tub I wouldn't have been able to finish this project but I certainly had a large number of issues. I don't know how to weld which would have been very helpful getting things to fit.

So far it's running pretty well. The last time I drove a jeep it was an Army M151A2 in the late 80's. I'm getting reacquainted with three speeds, manual steering & brakes and a 60 HP engine.

I want to thank all of the forum members who have helped me over the last seven or so years while I worked through many problems. I always received great advice here. I want to thank Wes in particular who was able to pinpoint solutions that really had me and others stumped. I wanted to do all the work myself and only farmed out some transmission work and a little bit of machine shop work. Thanks again to all. I'm sure I'll have new issues going forward but heres some pictures for now. Marty

ocwd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Jeep Reply with quote

Nice job Marty. Thanks for posting pictures.

Dave
MarkR1951M38

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Marty...I too am finishing up a M38 resurrection. 2 years and almost ready to drive. I know you are happy...I am.

Again...awesome job with what you had.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty,

Great job. Looks fine! The important thing is now you can drive her and look at the passenger seat and your brother setting there!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
dpcd67

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice restoration.
I notice you went with the 24087, which would be for a rebuild.
Which it is.
Nothing wrong with it of course.
Ray101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Good!!!
Congradulations, it's always very satisfying seeing a job through to completion.
32sbct

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpcd67 wrote:
Very nice restoration.
I notice you went with the 24087, which would be for a rebuild.
Which it is.
Nothing wrong with it of course.

Yes, you may have noticed the bumper markings are for the 28th Div of the PA National Guard. They still had some M38s as late as 1965 according to one vet who was working at their museum at Fort Indiantown Gap. Myself, my brother, my son, and a nephew all served in the 111th Infantry. So I went with what an M38 would have looked like very late in its service life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: