Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Canvas bows
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canvas bows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brumbach

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Canvas bows Reply with quote

I've read on the forum that the bows for the M38 and M38A1 are interchangeable. I assume there are subtle differences, however. I have three bows and also a M38 and M38A1. I'm currently restoring a M38. I need to refurb one of the bows for the ongoing project. I know one of the three bows came with the M38. Is there something distinguishable about the M38 bow that will allow me to refurb the correct one?
Thanks in advance.
Kendall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have both an M38 and an M38A1 then you should already have the manuals for both jeeps and you could have done what I just did, by consulting the SNL for both models and found the same part number for top bows listed for both models (G740-7372889).
1942 Dodge WC-55
1951 M100 trailer
1942 Ben Hur trailer
Brumbach

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendall wrote:
If you have both an M38 and an M38A1 then you should already have the manuals for both jeeps and you could have done what I just did, by consulting the SNL for both models and found the same part number for top bows listed for both models (G740-7372889).
You assume wrong. I have the manuals for the M38 for which I'm restoring at the moment. The M38A1 will begin sometime in the future. Thanks for the assistance.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me send up the white flag here.

I started working these jeeps in 1971. My first a 42 Ford GPW. No computers, no cell phones/Iphones. Just mail order catalogs and manuals and other folks with jeeps! When I had a question the quickest place to find the answer was in the manuals, both maintenance & parts. If I couldn't get an answer there I would then call a buddy with one of these jeeps. If still no answer I would then call a reliable and experienced vendor. The manuals I used back then I paid for and they were paper.

We live in a new world today. We communicate in seconds with people on the other side of our planet. But the exact same protocol is suppose to be used today. When We first started this web site I spent more time on this computer answering questions that I usually had to look up first that I quickly realized the asker of the question was clearly taking advantage of me and burning the time off my life clock instead of his own then I did on my own jeep projects. So I set about leveling the playing field so all our members had the same access to data that I had and it was FREE!!!!. Still the handicapped and lazy still asked simple questions they could find easily in the data provided free to them. Many would whine that they don't understand the manual or can't figure out how to use the manual. Well that was BS of course. The way you learn is to use the manuals daily. If they were truthfully having trouble understanding or using the manual their question would have been more like this:
Quote:
How do I interpret this paragraph in this TM 9-8012? or: Where is this item hiding in the ORD 9?
. So with this being the new trend I decided there was a polite way to point out the member's attempts to abuse his co-members. I simply stopped answering his questions and instead posted the Number of the TM or ORD and the page where he could find the answer himself. These folks for the most part learned quickly and continued to push my button one or two more times before making their own serious effort at getting their answer from all the FREE! FREE! FREE! data on our web site.

Yes I can understand in the old days when we had to spend hard earned money on manuals why folks didn't also buy the manuals for the similar jeeps just to research part commonality. But No I do not understand why anyone on this board would not already have a set of both M38 & M38A1 manuals which are FREE! FREE! FREE! right here.

Also a simple Search of our web site will usually get you an answer without twisting a member's arm to look it up for you:

I asked for M38 & M38A1 top bows?

Quote:

Forum Topics Author Replies Views Last Post
No new posts Technical Knowledge Base Canvas bows
Brumbach 2 54 Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:25 am
Brumbach View latest post
No new posts Auctions Free Shipping on Top Bows - April 2016
RonD2 0 2054 Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:47 am
RonD2 View latest post
No new posts Technical Knowledge Base Topbow measurement
Bretto 12 6170 Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:10 am
wesk View latest post
No new posts Wanted M38A1 Passenger Seat Frame needed
Linechief4 3 2116 Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:15 pm
hillbilly21 View latest post
No new posts Jeep Project Threads New Member New Jeep and Lots of questions
[ Goto pageGoto page: 1, 2, 3 ] bamaj 38 18861 Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:09 am
Balvar24 View latest post
No new posts Technical Knowledge Base 2 M38A1'S - HOOD NUMBERS AND UNIT DESIGNATIONS
bluewatersailor 2 3954 Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:32 pm
wesk View latest post
No new posts For Sale SOLD - M38 / M38A1 Ramsey PTO 105A (Updated: $900 or trades)
[ Goto pageGoto page: 1, 2 ] rick25 23 15567 Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:26 pm
wesk View latest post
No new posts For Sale F/S: VARIOUS PARTS-COMBINED ADS !!!!! 08/25/11 UPDATED Very Happy
MODIFIED 13 11408 Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:46 am
MODIFIED View latest post
No new posts Technical Knowledge Base M38 x M38A1 top bows - are they same?
Claudio 3 2641 Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:26 am
Claudio View latest post
No new posts Technical Knowledge Base Top Bows
Beacher425 1 1465 Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:38 am
wesk View latest post
No new posts Technical Knowledge Base New to the forum and Jeep questions
Boomer573 2 2770 Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:27 pm
wesk View latest post
No new posts M Series Parts Supply & Service Review best reproduction top bows on the market
shack 7 6722 Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:05 pm
ronf View latest post
No new posts Technical Knowledge Base M38/M38A1 top bow measurements
wesk 9 8855 Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:10 am
whydahdvr View latest post

The first search result i highlited is: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5740&highlight=m38+m38a1+top+bows

The second search result I highlited doesn't clearly state they are the same but all the dimensions are posted and by comparison of the measurements it would become obvious.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2008&highlight=m38+m38a1+top+bows

Bottom line is, we all need a bit of help now and then but try to do your own part first before asking others to take the time from their families, their work and their projects to help you.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: