Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Fording Valve & Air Filter Connection?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fording Valve & Air Filter Connection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
67cdn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Fording Valve & Air Filter Connection? Reply with quote

Today I was re-testing to see if my upper fording valve was in the open position. I disconnected the tube closest to the fording valve in between the fording valve and oil filler tube....I blew in and expected to just get a clean flow and no blockage. However, I now noticed that air also blew out of the top of my air filter? Every time I blew into the hose air blew out of the top hole in the air filter. I noticed that the side of the filter had two holes...the lower one being plugged but the upper one being left open....is this correct? Should this hole be plugged like the lower hole? Please explain the system.

Thanks in advance,

lesk
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where a picture is worth a thousand words!

Since we cannot see which end of the hose you disconnected we cannot determine which way you are blowing the air and we cannot be sure what other hoses are connected or removed and what the position of the other fording valve is.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
67cdn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Fording Valve & Air Filter Connection? Reply with quote

I tried to post a picture but did not no how. The picture explains it all.

lesk
67cdn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Fording Valve & Air Filter Connection? Reply with quote

Wow.....I just cannot get a picture into this post.....I tried to follow directions but I just cannot insert a picture here....anyone help?

lesk

[/img]
mdainsd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a photo album here on M to post pics. It is a cool setup, it resizes if necessary.

I saw you did manage to post it on the G forum.

You have a late air cleaner, one that went on to serve with the M151s.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also post images from any other photo storage site. The requirement for it to get to your post here is that it must be a PUBLIC IMAGE which means our web site does not need to sign in to that web site to laod the photo.

When I open your G503 photo I get this which is prededed by an image of a locked pad lock, meaning the photo is secure and requires a password to access it.
https://forums.g503.com/download/file.php?id=139585

So when I enter your image URL into our [img][/img] we get this:
[img]https://forums.g503.com/download/file.php?id=139585[/img]

When I try to link to your copy on the G I get this.
[img]https://forums.g503.com/download/file.php?id=139585[/img]

Now if I open you an album here:

Here's your album:
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album628&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Here's the rules:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=498

Here's the tutorial for loading your album:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album53&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Here's the tutorial for posting your photos:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8670

Now when I load your g503 photo to your new album which is set for public access we can load the pic here.

What you are doing is simple, you are using the filler pipe small outlet to pressurize the engine interior and the air is coming thru the engine and carb and back to the air cleaner and out the hole in the air cleaner. Or your upper fording valve is open when you blow that way and air will come out that aircleaner hole.

Look at the back of your engine manual TM 9-8015-1 and you will find a nice chapter 6 on the Engine ventillating system.

Wes K
45 MB, 51 M38, 54 M37, 66 M101A1, 60 CJ5, 76 DJ5D, 47Bantam T3-C & 5? M100

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
67cdn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Plugging 2 holes in Air Cleaner? Reply with quote

Wow...thanks WESK....OK firstly, I have no clue as to what a URL is but I will do some discovery. I also do not know how to post pics onto a public website...I never knew any existed ( I am old school all the way)...so, thanks for opening up a photo album....question....do I now have a permanent photo file?

OK...about the air cleaner pic....I understand that when I blow into the open fording valve air comes out of the air cleaner.....but what is supposed to be plumbed into the 2 holes? And, at this point can I plug the 2 holes? Will plugging the 2 holes affect engine ventilation adversely?

Not sure what to do?

lesk
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One should be the line to the brake master cylinder lid and the other the line to the gas tank vent. A detailed review of your parts manual would reveal this to you.

Item K is the fuel tank vent and item H is from the master brake cylinder.

Yes you have your own permanent album now.

You will find that 10 to 16 year olds love to show you how to get around a computer!

67cdn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Engine Ventilation Reply with quote

Hi Wesk....thanks for the picture & diagram you added...I forgot to respond to your question....I took the hose off from the oil filler pipe end and blew air into the fording valve & crossover tube feeling return air from the upper hole in the air cleaner.

Thank for the photo album.

I have read the engine ventilation section of TM 9 815-1...it mentions disassembly and assembly...does not really answer my question though. I have looked at the transfer case & master cylinder vents and both have a round rotating breathable valve....no lines to the air cleaner.

Question as per my previous post....as both transfer & master cylinder now have breathable valves can I plug the holes in the air cleaner? Will plugging the 2 holes in the air cleaner adversely affect the engine and or ventilation?

Regards,

lesk

[[/img]
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transfer and master cyl always had breathable air vents. They were only connected to the air cleaner for fording purposes. If your desire is to not utilize the fording system then you are free to completely disable that system so long as you do not interrupt the engine's basic ventilation system. Make sure your master cylinder lid has a vent in it and one that is protected from the splashing of water into the vacant fitting that was there for the line to the air cleaner. Same with the remaining vent outlet/inlet on top of the transfer. I presume you have already removed the other fording valve at the intake.

Last edited by wesk on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
67cdn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Air Cleaner Holes? Reply with quote

Thanks Wesk....I have interpreted your response as....if you are not going to use the fording capability of your jeep....you can go ahead and plug the two holes in your air cleaner.

lesk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: