Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Starter Issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starter Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleSam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Starter Issue Reply with quote

- 1953 M38A1
- I've uploaded a picture of the starter, I don't know what kind of starter it is (it may not be the correct one)

- The issue: About 3 out of 4 starts, the starter spins and doesn't engage, nor does it make any bad sounds. Just spins.

- The bendix throws the gear out every time. The bendix has to be thrown out to trigger the solenoid...and I can see it get thrown out when I turn the key
- Why is it not engaging? Worn gear? Is it possible for it to be thrown out enough to trigger the solenoid, but not engage?

Last edited by UncleSam on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not the correct starter for your M38A1.

Quote:
The bendix throws the gear out every time. The bendix has to be thrown out to trigger the solenoid...and I can see it get thrown out when I turn the key

Not quite right. That arrangement actually receives it's electrical power at the solenoid the instant you turn the key on. That electrical current in less than a second retracts the solenoid which extends the pinion gear and when the solenoid is completely engaged it passes the main cranking current to the starter's drive motor.

How are you verifying it throws the pinion gear out every start attempt? If the starter is installed on the bell housing the pinion drive gear is not visible to you.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
UncleSam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response wesk!

The actuating arm is exposed, so I can see it throwing out every time the key is turned.

Last weekend I did 2 things:

1) I bench tested it and is far as I can tell, it was throwing out really hard and spinning really fast...

2) I thought that the teeth on the starter were worn some, so I cut down the worn end on a lathe. Pretty much the same results though. Sometimes is engages and sometimes it doesn't.

*Picture is before lathe.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pinion gear looks like a 9 tooth gear as it should be if your flywheel is the correct 129 tooth flywheel.

The pinion assembly had a mild taper built into the first contact edge of the teeth to slide them in easier to engage the flywheel. What usually occurs to cause the sticking problem is the springs inside the pinion assy get weak and the rotator that tosses the pinion towards the flywheel gets dirty and sticky. This is why you can't rely on the visual movement of that external arm. Obviously when your arm has slammed what appears to be all the way and the engine isn't turning then the pinion is still a 1/2" or so short of engaging. The short answer, disassemble and clean and lube the pinion assy. If problem persists replace the pinion assy.

Keep in mind that starters are built for specific applications. Their drive extension distance, tooth count, diameter of pinion gear are all traits that are tailored to a specific installation. You may be asking that starter to do what it was not designed to do.

Personally I would get the correct starter unless of course you are running a 12 volt system. If that is the case I would get the correct 12 volt starter for the F134 which would be an MDM6005 or a MDU7004.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: