Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Carter WO on M38...Rebuild or replace w/ SOLEX?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carter WO on M38...Rebuild or replace w/ SOLEX?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Z

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Carter WO on M38...Rebuild or replace w/ SOLEX? Reply with quote

My carb and fuel pump are my only non-factory engine parts. Both leak. Should I rebuild the Carter WO 146-249 Carb (for CJ3A) or rebuild? As far as fuel pump, an aftermarket one is installed and leaks. I have the original pump (guess my grandfather didn't have means to fix) but can get rebuilt. Thanks for any input or recommendations.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Zane_Hall&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock Carter Carb & the stock AC fuel are more than adequate for the task. They were nuilt specifically for the jeep's L134. The Solex is not tailored to the L134 and off road driving angles. The electric fuel pumps are nice but not necessary and usually run at too high a pressure. I assume you are talking about your M38 here?

I am guessing you have not tried our search function at the top of the page and have not tried a google search on this topic which has been discussed dozen of times over the years here.

For our web site's search function you use the "Search" in the line above
Quote:
Forum Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Profile No new messages Log out [ wesk ]

Just type in "Carter vs solex carb" and "electric fuel pump vs AC fuel pump"

To use Google search type in "Carter vs solex carb willysmjeeps" and "electric fuel pump vs AC fuel pump willysmjeeps"

Alson on this page just 8 posts below your is this one: Carter carburator to solex carburator

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Z

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. Yes, M38. Didn't know an electric pump was an option (not that I'd consider). I'll likely send in my original 5592295 pump for a rebuild. I'll search the threads for these topics as well.

The Carter WO rebuild is $$$... unless I do it myself (yikes). Appreciate the direction.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Zane_Hall&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several members here that will rebuild the YS637S Carter that belongs on your M38 for you. Skypilot comes to mind. When you said aftermarket fuel pump I assumed you meant electric. What level of restoration you are performing and the intended use of the jeep will dictate.

You can save the need to repeat the restoration goals if you just list them in your signature section. IE
Quote:
Z 52 M38 (61033) All MIL-SPEC
Just tack on the end weather it's a detailed factory resto or motor pool level resto, or daily driver and etc.

5592295 is the PN for the fuel pump rocker arm. Look on your pump's mounting flange and you will see a 4 digit number. That is your pumps part number. Once you know the last 4 just find the last 4 listed next to one of the pump PN's in your ORD 9.

You can buy new manufacture kits for both the carb and the pump.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Z

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I have an M38A1 pump. 9810 on the flange.

I'll adjust my signature with restore goal of getting a solid runner to enjoy on and off road (not rivet counting). It's rock solid everywhere but some leaks and needs some fuel tank work.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the goal of a solid driver maintaining it's original character I must ask do you have vacuum or electric windshield wipers?

Z

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacuum. The pump installed is or similar to the Airtex 4032. Both vacuum lines connected and working. Top pump seal leaks and might attempt a new seal. I do plan to have the 9810 rebuilt also. I know if I ever decide to put in the 9810, I’ll need to have compatible vacuum lines/fittings for that that pump.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the correct pump to block spacer?

Z

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn’t look like a spacer is there. Airtex and AC both require a spacer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: