Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?
Kaiser Willys carburetor
M38 Parachute Spools
Engine serial number
M38 Body Strainer
USAF Forward Air Controller M38A1 photo

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Help with radio transmissions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with radio transmissions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikemc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Help with radio transmissions Reply with quote

I am doing a display at a replica of the Vietnam Wall for the eighth graders from the local schools next week. One of the thing I have been trying to locate is a recording of radio transmissions that I can playthru the speaker on my radio. I was hoping some of you could point me to a cd or a place I could download some. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks, Mike McMahan
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
Next week? Pretty short fuse. Wink

A quick inter-web search came up with these 15 minutes of tactical radio chatter....... and from the sounds of it, there's probably some names of our brothers on that wall who'll be hearing the echo's from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7vsU8_bZn8

I'm not sure how you capture it for playback.

Good luck, and good on ya!

Oh yeah, and stand-by to stand-by, we might maybe get a ticket from The Man for this being in the "technical" forum Shocked Laughing

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was strictly a wanted ad then it should go in the "Wanted" Forum. However seems it went technical when we opened the discussion of how to play it back.

Mike, I assume when you said play it back thru your radio speaker, you meant a civilian radio speaker and not a military radio set?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Mikemc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, I’m hoping to figure out how to use the speaker that plugs into the military radio in my Jeep. Knew it was short notice. This is something I’ve wanted to do for a while and when this came up over the weekend I decided to get off my tail and get it done. I’ve downloaded some audio onto my IPAD but can’t figure out how to get enough volume for it to be heard. Thanks for all your help. I really want this event to come off well.
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the difference between obsolete old military radio analog audio and digital audio. Probably need an amplifier, and likely modify your military speaker. Why not just stick a small iPod speaker behind the military radio speaker and throw some camouflage over it?

Plan B: 8th graders are pretty sharp. They'd figure out how to do it in a heartbeat. Laughing

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

mdainsd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pads and phones generally do not have the power to drive speakers, just buds and the like.

I assume you are talking about the standard fare square Military box speaker? They are generally 8 ohms which is good as it is standard. Unfortunately a lot of those speakers have a transformer in them to convert the output of the Military radios to the speaker.

You could try; open the speaker case, disconnect one lead going to the speaker. That takes the transformer out of the equation. Hook the two wires from your pad directly to the two lugs on the speaker. It just may have enough volume for you, but its a toss up.

What really needs to be done is get one of the small audio amps on a small circuit board and use it to drive the speaker. Most will fit in the speaker enclosure, but you need a source of power. It can all be done fairly easily, but your time frame is very short.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you may find a quicker and more detailed answer on one of the military radio pages:

http://www.nf6x.net/greenradio/gradio.html
http://radionerds.com/images/2/28/TM-11-285.pdf
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/armyradios/info

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Kendall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
It sounds like an interesting quest. Let us know if/when/how you make it work. I might be interested in doing something similar.
Kendall
1942 Dodge WC-55
1951 M100 trailer
1942 Ben Hur trailer
BB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Bose rechargeable wireless speaker and my cell phone connected wireless . The sound is great and it is small enough to fit almost anywhere.
You can use it with you IPad too.
Beast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a couple of different items to give sounds when I have a display set up. For military radio chatter, I used my old outdated Iphone and made a playlist with several pieces of radio chatter that make about an hour and a half of chatter. I have an older Magpul phone case for it that is OD green, so I slip it under the radio between the radio bottom and the mounting tray near where the speaker is. And I just play it through the phones speaker which give it an old school muffled sound. This gives just enough sound that when you are standing near the vehicle you can hear it, but not so much as to bother others displaying at the show.

The other I use is an old transistor radio that I gutted and installed an MP3 player and a rechargeable speaker. I can access them through the battery cover to plug them in to recharge. On the MP3 player I made a playlist of period rock music and spaced them out with old original AFVN jingles and PSA's that I had found somewhere on the web years ago. This makes for some great background music for the display.

Delta Team Decals http://www.deltateamdecals.com/
Mikemc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll let you know what I do.
Foxmike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poster suggesting the bluetooth speaker is on the mark IMO. Battery powered speakers are relatively cheap right now. You can hide one close by the radio speaker and play audio through it that way. Or get a spare military speaker set, take the insides out and put the bluetooth speaker inside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: