Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Not a new topic but update.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not a new topic but update.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeeptj1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Not a new topic but update. Reply with quote

Ok first, nobody on here has offended me. . I appreciate the help. Plus the fact that I’ve been offended by professionals and you guys are easy. Ok so let’s get to it. My batteries were 8/9 years old. They wouldn’t hold a charge and I did the hydrometer test and even figured in the temperature correction and they were shot. So I got new batteries. Did the ohms check on the starter and it was good. Here are the voltages i got and some of them may be not needed but I wanted to check them all.

The battery’s had worked fine for nine years and they are wired in correctly according to all the diagrams.

Engine battery NOT RUNNING 12.77 volts
Starter to negative terminal on engine battery not running 25.39 volts
Starter to positive terminal on engine battery not running 12.61 volts

Engine battery RUNNING 13.44/13.55 volts
Starter to negative terminal on engine battery running 27.9/28.03 volts
Starter to positive terminal on battery engine running 13.60/14.11

Cowl engine battery NOT RUNNING 12.61 volts
Starter to negative terminal on cowl battery not running 12.61 volts
Starter to positive terminal on cowl battery 00.00 volts

Cowl battery RUNNING 13.50/13.55
Starter to negative terminal on cowl battery 13.70/14.10
Starter to positive terminal on cowl battery 00.00 volts

Wes, a question on you number 7 in the other thread. Am I reading it wrong or is it saying the positive terminal from the battery should read 28/32 volts when I got zero volts?

Dpcd67 thanks for your input on the manual. It basically for those two pages just showed the battery hook up and like I said, it’s worked for nine years.

So I hope I didn’t leave any thing out and didn’t cross any of my numbers up.
And as always everybody’s help is appreciated. John jr
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
7 - When any standard military 28 Volt System is operating properly no matter weather the battery is a single 24 Volt or Dual 12 Volt they will read at the + terminal connected to the starter 28 to 32 volts.

Exactly what it says. At the cowl battery's + terminal which is the cable going to the starter.

Quote:
Wes, a question on you number 7 in the other thread. Am I reading it wrong or is it saying the positive terminal from the battery should read 28/32 volts when I got zero volts?

If you are referring to the zero's you got in the last 2 measurements they are correct. You won't get the actual voltage at the engine bay battery unless you attach the black lead to a ground and when you do you get only the voltage of the engine bay battery.

You did an overall good job but your charging voltage is low or the engine was only idling. You should check charging voltage at the cowl battery + terminal with engine running at cruise RPM and then it should read between 28.5 and 32 volts.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jeeptj1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, yes it was just idling and I need to check the belts as to how tight they should be. Will read the manual! Just checked manual. Says one inch deflection in belt! Thanks again john jr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: