Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - f134 TDC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

f134 TDC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeke57

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: f134 TDC Reply with quote

Starting to put things back together and am at the point of installing the distributor, carb and fuel pump. I read a post on here from back in 2014 by Wes explaining the procedure to find TDC and it is pretty clear as to how to do it. I just had a question about when inserting a pencil into the spark plug hole to observe piston travel when looking into the hole what I actually believe I see is one of the valves and not actually the piston. If I am correct which of the valves would I be seeing, exhaust or intake?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Zeke, On the F134 I do not recall mentioning placing a pencil in the spark plug hole. Must have been another commenter on that post. You need an offset device to track the piston movement because the spark plug hole is not above the piston. All F134's have the four intake valves in the head. You should not be able to see the intake valve looking in the spark plug hole. The exhaust valves are still in the block. If you are re-assembling your engine this is the best time to accurately determine TDC with a dial indicator before the head gets installed. This should be done on any engine to insure the remote located marks for ignition and valve timing are accurate and correct. On the L134's it is usually the marks on the flywheel and on the F134's it is usually the tab on the front timing gear cover.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
zeke57

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wes if you get a chance do a search for "f134 tdc". You have a posting there that I was referring to and I thought it pertained to the f134. Also my head was not removed everything still intact and I have the number one plug removed and when I look into the hole I do see the top of the intake valve. Thanks.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the mis-understanding.

I think I grasp your real question now.

Maybe this illustration will answer it.

You should be able to see the exhaust valve thru the plug hole but you should not be able to see the intake valve until it opens and extends further down where you can see it thru the plug hole.

When checking TDC on #1 using a visual view thru #1 plug hole both valves should be completely closed since we are locating TDC Top Dead Center on compression stroke. The other TDC occurs at the top of the exhaust stroke and at that instant the exhaust valve will be open.

This illustration is perhaps a more accurate showing of what you can see thru the spark plug hole:

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
zeke57

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good illustrations Wes it was definitely the exhaust valve I am seeing. So what would be the best method to determine tdc on this engine?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said with the head off is my choice.

This is what we are trying to measure and the easiest and most accurate way to do it.

There are several type TDC finders for use thru the spark plug hole. I try to avoid the threaded piston stop type and stay with free to slide in and out units I can link to a dial indicator.

Then there are dial type direct connect gauges:

or you can just take an old 18mm spark plug and saw off all but the threaded base. Then drill it for a rod and voila you have your home made TDC finding tool.

zeke57

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I think the last option would be the best. Where would I locate the adaptor to hold the dial indicator? I have been searching but have not found one like the one in your photo? Thanks again Wes.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last option is written below the last photo and is unlike the last photo.

That last photo has the correct 18mm adaptor with the dial indicator and is on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Dead-Center-TDC-tool-Timing-Gauge-18-mm-thread-high-quality-in-best-price/201984085747?hash=item2f07308ef3:g:gbsAAOSwy3NZZI9A&frcectupt=true

Just search ebay and google for "Piston Top Dead Center Finder"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: