Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?
Kaiser Willys carburetor
M38 Parachute Spools
Engine serial number
M38 Body Strainer
USAF Forward Air Controller M38A1 photo

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 12v voltage regulator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

12v voltage regulator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeke57

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: 12v voltage regulator Reply with quote

I do not have much experience with wiring so I need some help. I am converting my a1 to 12v and am at the point where I need a voltage regulator and am wondering what to use. I viewed Wesk photo on page 116 he has one mounted to the fender well so could someone tell what to look for. I am converting to an alternator also. Thanks.
mdainsd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you share with us what type of alternator you are using? Some, like GM models have internal regulators so no addition one is needed. I just did the 12V alternator for one of my M38s.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
zeke57

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the kit I bought:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Willys-6-Volt-to-12-Volt-Alternator-Conversion-kit/273798864985?hash=item3fbfaf2059:g:1sYAAMXQ01tRRTP9

mdainsd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That exact kit I started with. I returned it. The quality of that jumble of L brackets was a disaster.

I replaced it with this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WILLYS-JEEP-12-VOLT-ALTERNATOR-CONVERSION-KIT-FOR-134-L-AND-F-HEAD-4CYL-ENGINES/223351758352?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The bracket is designed for the Jeep 134 and is rock solid.

By the way both of these use alternators with internal regulators, no you don't need anything else!

Also, these kits do not use "single wire" alternators, which is good. The single wire system need good revs to start them charging and don't charge as strongly at low RPMS. either the kit you liked or the one I listed has everything you need including the harness (2 little wires) for the internal requlator.

I don't know why I waited so long to do this conversion it works so well. Living large with a 63 amp system!

'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
zeke57

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What problems did you have with the bracket? Did you return just the bracket and keep the rest of the kit?
RonD2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half of this probably doesn't apply because I have a M38, but I used a WillysWorks bracket on my Delco 10SI alternator (internal regulator) --- seen here https://www.willysworks.com/

I use a low-RPM one-wire requlator and it works good (I figured less wire is a good thing, and no need to rev the motor to trigger charging). I'll have to check my notes for that regulator part number as I put it in when I rebuilt the 2-wire 10SI that originally came with the truck when I bought it. I think they're fairly common?

I like the mount because it allowed me to fit a double-belt pulley on the alternator that matches the M38 water pump fan and crank pulleys and their belts.

Just my 2 cents.........good luck!

Standing by for the Wrath of Wes..... Shocked

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

mdainsd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeke57 wrote:
What problems did you have with the bracket? Did you return just the bracket and keep the rest of the kit?

The brackets were poorly made. The holes in them ran off at an angle instead of straight down the middle. It was just a huge cludge trying to get a good fit (which was never achieved with that kit) I sent the whole thing back, the seller was good about it. The other issue was the way you added on bits and pieces to make the tensioner arm work. The kit I got second go around and a new tensioner arm and spacers. Looks factory when installed.

Ron does bring up a good point. The pulleys. I had plenty of CJ pulleys around so I converted to a single belt that fits the alternator kit. What pulley set up is on your A1 currently?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bracket preferences has always been this one from the jeep dealer South of Tuscon. Which is like the yellow one.

But having seen the one above I must say that little booger looks very solid.

The mount that Zeke has will work but I would suggest tack welding all the bolts except the top rear bracket bolts after you get her fitted correctly.

Any one or 2 wire Delco is just fine. I have always held the ford 60 Amp 12V close to my heart because it has always served me well. External transistor regulators are very inexpensive for them. Of course the internal regulated alternators make the installation a bit simpler.

As for pulleys, why change the whole engine? Just haul your new alternator to an Auto Electric shop and they should be able to provide a pulley that matches what you show them your jeep needs.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RICKG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the same kit as Zeke for the conversion on my 3A project. I could not stand the bracket either. I took that jumble of parts, hacked and welded this together..

And the "universal" tensioner provided with the kit went to the dump.. I had a spare on the shelf that worked just fine.
Jeff_Lee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on Wes's recommendation on Willys Work alternator bracket. I fabricated one for my M38, but I saved the hassle and bought one of the WW's units for my CJ2A.

Wes also suggested getting a local auto electric shop change the pulley on your alternator to work with your application. I had double water pump and crank pulleys, so I wanted to maintain 2 belts.
I had my local electric's shop press on a compatible double pulley. It was inexpensive and works well.

Best, Jeff
1954 Ford F-100 Parts chaser - blueprinted Y-Block
Southeast Florida
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: