Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - a1 weak front spring?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a1 weak front spring?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeke57

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: a1 weak front spring? Reply with quote

Recently noticed the jeep looked like it was sitting lower on one side in the front so I took a measurement and indeed the d/s is 1/2'' lower measured from the floor to the bottom of the frame nearest the front bumper mount. Both of the springs have 12 leaf's and both of the rears have 13 all four tires are new and have the same amount of air pressure and I am measuring from a level concrete floor. I unbolted the shocks and kind of tested the springs by just pushing down on each side with my hands. On the d/s I could compress the spring about an inch or so just using my weight while on the p/s I could barely budge it with hand pressure I had to jump up and down on it to compress it a little. So which spring is the problem? I am assuming the d/s is weak and causing it to sag or could it be the other spring be too stiff. I did replace the p/s spring with a used one from QTM and it is the same dimensions as the d/s.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a common ailment of the old girl. With the gas and driver both on the left side, the left side springs soften before the right side does. The only cure are a set of matched new springs and then wait about 8 to 10 years for her to sag again on the left.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
zeke57

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do the right side springs tend to sag less than the left I am wondering if I found a spring that I knew was a right side maybe it may still be good and I could use it on the left side. The used spring I bought from QTM has no sag so I assume it was originally a right side so maybe I could find a right side and put it on the left if that would work.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are seemingly mixing apples with oranges here. Note the left and right rear springs are the same part number hence they are the same spring. The only combination of a left & right rear spring that will leave the jeep level are two new springs or two used springs aged the same amount. When putzing with used springs there is no solid equation to use. You must find two equally tired (used) springs and put them on the same axle. This can't be done by measuring two used springs and if they have the same bushing eye to bushing eye measurement assume they are equal because this measurement only indicates the arch is about equal. There is no visible cue for the amount of fatigue a spring has suffered till you load them equally and see if they sag the same amount. This is why we say the only reasonable answer to your one side droop is a new pair of springs. Playing around with old springs get tiresome very quick. A much more simpler solution is to add a pair of aftermarket air inflatable shocks which allow you to raise or lower one corner of the jeep at a time till she is level.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
zeke57

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice Wes I do not really want to mess around with old springs I just want the jeep to sit up straight. I had not given any thought to air shocks thanks for that suggestion I will search around on the web and see what I can find.
zeke57

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing some initial research it looks like the air shock option might not work as the tubes are 3-1/2'' in diameter.
zeke57

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever have a spring re-arched maybe that could be a solution to a weak spring.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-arching has a very short life span. In a year or so you'll be right back where you started.

cabinfever

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just swap the sets from side to side. Then, when you're sitting in the Jeep (without a passenger) it should pretty much even out. After a while, both sides will be broken down somewhat and the Jeep may return to level.
Steve Stark - 1955 M38A1 MD #85388

Member - MVPA #35153
Member - Red Bull Historic Military Vehicle Association
zeke57

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting to wonder if my d/s front spring really is weak or is something up with the used replacement spring I installed on the p/s front. The other three springs currently mounted on the jeep (2 rears and d/s front) I am able to apply downward pressure with my hands and flex the spring a little( about 1/2'' ). The p/s front spring that I replaced has absolutely no flex what so ever. So is it possible that spring is not the right one, did I do something wrong when mounting it? For all you experts out there should I be able to actually flex the spring as I described? Like I said three of the four will do that. Thanks everyone for your help.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to supply a photo of the spring and hopefully the part number it had been listed as for us to try and help you out. It appears obvious that your new - USED - spring is clearly in better (Read stiffer) shape than your other three.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: