Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - cleary flanges. pictures added
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cleary flanges. pictures added

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keats

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: cleary flanges. pictures added Reply with quote

I know there is an old thread but have a question about cleary flanges.

I have a set that are NOS. They are a complete assembly with a spacer as an additional part for using the flanges on a mb/gpw.

my question, do i need to take the flange bearing out to grease it? Does it need grease?

regular bearing grease?

I can't find any literature on what is needed to install the flanges other than just bolt them on.

A larger file size photo is available here: http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/Gary-Keating/IMG_1585.jpg

A larger file size photo is available here: http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/Gary-Keating/IMG_1586.jpg

Are these sealed bearings?

Last edited by keats on Thu May 09, 2019 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

There is nothing else that needs to be done that I know of. Any lubrication remains on it's original schedule. I would guess since the spline shaft is regularly greased and is free to rotate in the Clary hubs then there should be no reason to try to lube the sealed ball bearings. I've always heard them referred to as Clary Hubs.

Here's a short blurp on them from the G503 by Joel:

Quote:
Clary Hubs
Joel Gopan
http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=197044
ORDNANCE STOCK NO. G-740-8327042 times two will get you a set of two. They are simple to install and require the reuse of your old WO-800798 Hub Cap. There are two types pictured, the larger Clary Flange is for the M-37. Note the A-868 Drive Flange that you will have to remove. This particular one is from one of the last new CJ-5 Jeeps we sold, the drive flanges were removed to install Warn Hubs. The small ring next to the hubcap is a spacer to be used when installing the flanges on the MB/GPW. The ends of the Outer Axle Shafts rest inside shielded ball bearings, the flanges are cast aluminum.

CLARY FLANGES were manufactured under Gov't Contract DA-04-200-ORD-448 by the CAM TOOL CO. Oakland CA. What is unique is tht the M-38/M-38A1 Flanges and the M-37 Flanges I have were manufactured under the same contract and were both packaged during 11/55.
ORD PART NO FOR M-38/M-38A1 is G-740-8327042
ORD PART NO. FOR THE M-37/WC is G-741-8327043

If you do install a set of these critters, be sure to pack your original drive flanges in your Jeep Storage compartment. I can't think of a better use for these GI Issue flanges than to take them along on the ALCAN trip, they might make a bit of difference due to the great distance traveled.
Note the Script "F" on the NOS O.D. Hub Cap, these were plentiful back 30 or so years ago when the wholesalers had a "Glut" of them.

Should you have a set of Clary hubs that do not have sealed ball bearings then I would mak sure they are lubed.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
keats

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell if these are sealed bearings? Look like they may be but not sure
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking an open bearing is a non-sealed bearing. A covered bearing with at least one grease port/path is a shielded bearing and a fully enclosed bearing is a sealed bearing. Here's a quick explanation:

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/31335/sealed-shielded-bearings

Simply put, if you can see the ends of the rollers or the side of the balls it is not a sealed bearing. I really can't tell in your photos.

The largest bearing above is not a sealed bearing.

Gary,
I reduced the file size of your photos because they take up too much band width and are difficult for folks to view who have slow download speeds or small screen devices. Back in 2014 I postsed a "How To Post Photos" article on our photo album's help page. In that post I highlighted a 250K photo size posting limit. http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8670

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: