Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles



Forums

Hood number help
M38a1 M170 battery box drain
Looking for a parts source
WTB M38 CDN antennae mount
Keeping it in the Family - Audrey's Hunting Jeep M38A1
M38 Steering Knuckle Flange
Holes drilled in m38a1 wheel
1954 M38A1 For Sale 5000.00 Auburn, AL
Genuine M38 Windscreen, based in UK
SOLD M38a1 fuel level sender 8322687

Willys M Jeeps Forums


willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - New to the M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to the M38

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
M880
Member


Joined: Aug 20, 2019
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: New to the M38 Reply with quote

Hi All,
Just got my first M38 yesterday. How do I go about finding what year it was made?
Thank you in advance for any help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdainsd
Member


Joined: Oct 20, 2017
Posts: 299

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do either of the two data plates with the S/N remain? One on the dash and one on the front of the passengers side rear wheel well.
_________________
1952 Dodge M37, 1942 GPW, 1948 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, 1951 M38, !942 WC-57 Command Car Undergoing factory original restoration, 1944 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlight, John Deere M-gators
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
M880
Member


Joined: Aug 20, 2019
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdainsd wrote:
Do either of the two data plates with the S/N remain? One on the dash and one on the front of the passengers side rear wheel well.


Thanks for the reply.
Only 4 left plates on dash just maintenance and operation instructions.

Big surprise the rear wheel plate was there buried under the paint.
Serial number MC11533 Hope this helps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator


Joined: Apr 04, 2005
Posts: 14408
Location: Wisconsin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC11533 would be a 1950 M38. Tough to narrow that down to a month because the M38 Production that started in SEP 1950 only received data plates with the year of delivery and no month. Since the M38 serials started at MC10001 then your would be the 1,503 rd production M38 Built and the month is probably late October or early November. Early 1951 M38's have the same problem because the month was not included on the data plates until May 1951 so Jan thru April have no month listed just the year 1951 on their plates. If you review our M38 data base and if you do not have any manuals yet then download the basic manual set in PDF format from our Downloads page. You will want the following manuals:

TM 9-804 M38 operator use & maint manual.
!M 9-8012 M38 operator use & maint. manual.
TM 9-1804A M38 engine & clutch maint.
TM 9-1804B M38 Powertrain Maint.
ORD 9 SNL G-758 Parts Manual.

Once you have the parts manual it can be used to confirm date of manufacture by checking serial start and stops of certain parts and comparing that to which parts your jeep has.
_________________
Wes K
45 MB, 51 M38, 54 M37, 66 M101A1, 60 CJ5, 76 DJ5D, 47Bantam T3-C & 5? M100

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
M880
Member


Joined: Aug 20, 2019
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
MC11533 would be a 1950 M38. Tough to narrow that down to a month because the M38 Production that started in SEP 1950 only received data plates with the year of delivery and no month. Since the M38 serials started at MC10001 then your would be the 1,503 rd production M38 Built and the month is probably late October or early November. Early 1951 M38's have the same problem because the month was not included on the data plates until May 1951 so Jan thru April have no month listed just the year 1951 on their plates. If you review our M38 data base and if you do not have any manuals yet then download the basic manual set in PDF format from our Downloads page. You will want the following manuals:

TM 9-804 M38 operator use & maint manual.
!M 9-8012 M38 operator use & maint. manual.
TM 9-1804A M38 engine & clutch maint.
TM 9-1804B M38 Powertrain Maint.
ORD 9 SNL G-758 Parts Manual.

Once you have the parts manual it can be used to confirm date of manufacture by checking serial start and stops of certain parts and comparing that to which parts your jeep has.


Thank you,
Will do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
4x4M38
Member


Joined: May 30, 2014
Posts: 2909
Location: Texas Hill Country

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some pics?
_________________
Brian
1950 M38
MC11481
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
M880
Member


Joined: Aug 20, 2019
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My M-38 Engine numbers- MC11867
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdainsd
Member


Joined: Oct 20, 2017
Posts: 299

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That very well could be the original engine for your Jeep! MC is the prefix for the engines originally put in M38s. One stamped RMC is a replacement engine. The stamped engine pard number is always higher than the serial number of the Jeep. Being about 300 higher than the chassis at about 1500 Jeeps into the run is right where it should be.
_________________
1952 Dodge M37, 1942 GPW, 1948 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, 1951 M38, !942 WC-57 Command Car Undergoing factory original restoration, 1944 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlight, John Deere M-gators
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
45auto
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: Apr 06, 2005
Posts: 118
Location: Georgia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps---M38 11544 listed in my database has a tag reported being on the transmission stamped 12-7-50. You do have what appears to be the factory original engine--maybe you have the original transmission also. You might want to look to see if it has a tag under one of the bolts. I have never seen one so I can't direct you where to look.

This appears to be the assembly date for the transmission. For most vehicles, this date will be between 2 to 4 weeks ahead of the assembly of the vehicle as these parts would be ordered and stocked. While researching the CJV-35, I came across an article telling about production of the M38 for the Military. They were producing the M38 along with the CJs, Trucks and Wagons and Willys could speed up or slow down production as dictated by the Military. However, maximum production was classified.

I do have a production sheet from the Chrysler Archives which list the last M38 produced for 1950 as M38 11563. Over on the G503 site M38 11571 was thrown out as the last M38 produced for 1950.

You are just 30 or 38 units from what's being listed as the end of 1950 production. From yet another article I know Willys was keeping stock tight and ordering as needed and letting the manufacture hold the stock. Soooo, taking what little we have into account---it looks like Willys was building M38s as soon as outside manufactured parts came in. Seeing you are so close to the last M38 produce for 1950, your M38 most likely rolled down the assembly line very early in December.

All this isn't easy to layout and information for the very early M38s is far and few between. I'm drawing off of articles I have read, one date plate and listed ending serial number for 1950. I feel better if I have several serial numbers hitting right in the target range, but for the early M38s, this is all I have.

I hope it helps
_________________
Harold W.
MVPA #6833
1945 GPW
1950 CJV-35/U
1951 M38 1952 M38
1962 USMC Contract M38A1
1953 Strick M100 1967 Johnson M416
1968 CJ5 4-Speed 1969 CJ5 V6
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
M880
Member


Joined: Aug 20, 2019
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

45auto wrote:
If it helps---M38 11544 listed in my database has a tag reported being on the transmission stamped 12-7-50. You do have what appears to be the factory original engine--maybe you have the original transmission also. You might want to look to see if it has a tag under one of the bolts. I have never seen one so I can't direct you where to look.

This appears to be the assembly date for the transmission. For most vehicles, this date will be between 2 to 4 weeks ahead of the assembly of the vehicle as these parts would be ordered and stocked. While researching the CJV-35, I came across an article telling about production of the M38 for the Military. They were producing the M38 along with the CJs, Trucks and Wagons and Willys could speed up or slow down production as dictated by the Military. However, maximum production was classified.

I do have a production sheet from the Chrysler Archives which list the last M38 produced for 1950 as M38 11563. Over on the G503 site M38 11571 was thrown out as the last M38 produced for 1950.

You are just 30 or 38 units from what's being listed as the end of 1950 production. From yet another article I know Willys was keeping stock tight and ordering as needed and letting the manufacture hold the stock. Soooo, taking what little we have into account---it looks like Willys was building M38s as soon as outside manufactured parts came in. Seeing you are so close to the last M38 produce for 1950, your M38 most likely rolled down the assembly line very early in December.

All this isn't easy to layout and information for the very early M38s is far and few between. I'm drawing off of articles I have read, one date plate and listed ending serial number for 1950. I feel better if I have several serial numbers hitting right in the target range, but for the early M38s, this is all I have.

Found numbers stamped on a tab/ space on the Trans case , M190 2.

Had the shift tower off the gears look good but the bearings on the imput shaft seem to be shot.

I hope it helps
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001 phpBB Group
Forums ©

 



PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.