Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?
Kaiser Willys carburetor
M38 Parachute Spools
Engine serial number
M38 Body Strainer
USAF Forward Air Controller M38A1 photo

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Steering Knuckle Flange
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Steering Knuckle Flange

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonD2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: M38 Steering Knuckle Flange Reply with quote

Servicing my steering knuckle flanges and on the left side the flange has one of the six 3/8-24NF threaded holes (where the brake backing plate and spindle bolt up) that has questionably light threads --- even after clean-up and chasing them. Five of the bolts are original and their hole threads are good (no helicoils), but this one has a modern grade 8 bolt in it from the previous owner(s). When I took it apart I didn't notice that it was any different than the other five (didn't feel stripped out anyway). They just look light and wore out.

I haven't quite decided whether I want to find out if it won't torque up on assembly --- or just beat it to the punch and put a helicoil in it now. I know this is a critical installation point. Bad things can happen. So I thought I'd ask:

My question: (after searching the forums and threads........) would it be ok to use a helicoil in this instance? I'd rather not buy a new flange if I don't need it.

Thanks!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

jnissen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In redoing ours I got over the reluctance to helicoil threaded connections fairly quickly! Not sure if your chasing a trailer queen or a drivers vehicle? If your looking at every bolt or nut as OEM or not then my suggestions likely can be taken with a grain of salt. We reused bolts or nuts rarely. Modern grade 8 stuff is readily available and will easily be a better solution long term. Anytime we ran into a thread that seemed to smear or shear off while getting to final torque values were promptly removed and drilled with s helicolil. On brake backing plates your talking safety critical so I would not hesitate. We did use thread sealer liberally any place threads met coolant or fluid of any type. Looking back I have no regrets. I know it was a solid fix and significantly better than when I took it apart!
RonD2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks on the ok to helicoil the flange! I was pretty sure it's ok, but this is my 1st jeep and I'm still learning. Friendly second opinions and this forum are essential to keeping me straight.

There's no trailer queen in my future. I'm after a safe, reliable driver. I'll re-use hardware when it's serviceable (not pitted, cracked, bent, broken), which isn't very often. I also replace with grade 8 when need be. Plenty of thread sealer or anti-seize as need be. Have had to be patient and hunt for special lengths or unusual heads on occasion. I'm not reluctant to use inserts when need be, just not experienced enough to be confident.

The bank for this project is already way over budget so I try to be practical as much as possible --- without compromising safety or reliability. A helicoil kit and drill bit is about $35 (not cheap), but cheaper than a new flange! All I know for certain is that (1) I can't ignore it, and (2) I'm not going to Bubba it. Very Happy

--- Enzo Ferrari

jnissen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Tractor Supply nearby... the hardware they have is plated and grade 8. Not all that expensive. My son started buying it in bags by the pound and it was the way to go for us.
RonD2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-4. Thanks Jim.

--- Enzo Ferrari

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: