Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?
Kaiser Willys carburetor
M38 Parachute Spools
Engine serial number
M38 Body Strainer
USAF Forward Air Controller M38A1 photo

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Keeping it in the Family - Audrey's Hunting Jeep M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keeping it in the Family - Audrey's Hunting Jeep M38A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Keeping it in the Family - Audrey's Hunting Jeep M38A1 Reply with quote

I originally started a build thread on this jeep waaay back in 2004 or 2005 in another forum here on WillysMJeeps, but I'm restarting it here for a complete view & updated news (and I successfully cracked the code thanks to Wes' instruction on updating my Member Album).

Beginning of the original thread:

Considering how much enjoyment I get out of looking at photos folks post of their jeeps & work on jeeps, thought I'd post a few of my work in progress. I acquired a 1953 M38A1 last year from my cousin, it was her Dad's jeep. He was my great-uncle Audrey, & the jeep just happened to be one of two my Dad had built out of 3 different jeeps & spare parts. The chasis, body & front end were one jeep, with Uncle Audrey supplying a crated military surplus motor (unused) & the rear end coming from an M38; the hard top & windshield were spare parts from a civilian CJ5. Dad built this Jeep over 30 years ago as a hunting rig, as which it saw a lot of use in the Ozark Mountains in Northwest Arkansas. I couldn't believe my good fortune when I found out my cousins still had the Jeep & sold it to me for next to nothing.

So far I've only removed the hard top (got tired of the neighbors asking me what I was planning to do with a Mail Jeep) & done some sanding of parts . . . I'm slowly collecting the military parts I need to get it fully dressed as a military rig. No plans to take it down to the frame, as I'm currently doing that with a 1947 CJ2A with my Dad . . . I intend to restore it to resemble a motorpool Jeep that sees active use . . . keeping all the small dents & dings for character . . . anyway, hope you guys enjoy, & be prepared for some dumb questions!

So here we are in October of 2019, and after having 2 Jeep restorations under my belt, I live with the full knowledge that unless you've stashed a large pile of cash in a mattress or don't have family to support, doing a build on a budget takes TIME! But I wouldn't trade it for anything, given what I've learned, the time I've spent with my Dad, and the new friends I've made through these builds, both for my trail Jeep & for this M38A1. So on to the pictures, that's what make these posts fun!

Almost 50 years ago, this photo is the only clear picture we have of Audrey Horton's Jeep, with his brother in-law A.D. Horton posing with his small buck trophy, on Hatley Mountain in the Ozark National Forest. You can make out the hood numbers & position of the numbers in this photo.

The full lineup of Jeeps; my Papa Ezra Horton's CJ2A, my Dad's 72 CJ5 & Audrey's 1953 M38A1.

This is the same Uncle A.D. Horton with Audrey's Jeep at Greer's Ferry Lake, in Summer 2003. Audrey had passed away in the 90's; sadly, I still haven't located a single picture of him with this Jeep.

Dad & the Jeep reunited again after many years; he built this Jeep from a wrecked one & spare/surplus parts.

Work begins at my house in Memphis, TN, Jan 2005.

Finally putting some OD 24087 paint on it!

Galen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assembled again before going into storage while I moved to Florida for 3 years.

Delivery to my new home in Northwest Arkansas, October 2009. Dad said he needed the room for his projects!

Real Progress - Early Summer 2019.

58 Years Difference - 1953 M38A1 compared to my 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK Unlimited

Summer Cruising with my son, Major (8 yrs old).

Detail on the Ventilating Windshield (NO, it's NOT FOR SALE!!).

Arkansas MVPA Rally, Petit Jean Mountain, Sept 2019.

My favorite, Three Generations with Audrey's Jeep, Petit Jean AR MVPA Rally.

So there you have it, finally have it looking close to what I set out to accomplish, which was preserve a Jeep my Dad had built as well as preserving a small bit of military history to honor all those that have served and sacrificed for our country. Audrey Horton was a Navy veteran of WWII. A.D. Horton was a Navy veteran of WWII, serving 4 years on the carrier Essex. Ezra Horton my grandfather, was an Army Air Corps veteran, serving as a bomber mechanic in Kansas. Eudorus Garrison, my other grandfather, was a US Army Medic in the PTO, seeing action from Luzon to Okinawa during WWII. My father in-law, Frank Higgins, was a 30 year career officer with the US Army Signal Corps, retiring as a Colonel. My mother in-law, Verna Hamilton, served as an MP in Germany after college with the US Army. These are just the closest family members I can list that I wanted to honor with this Jeep, as I do my best to preserve a bit of history and ensure their stories are kept & continued as part of the fabric of our family.

Hope you've enjoyed a lengthy post, & come back for more as I finish some of the details on this Jeep, such as canvas, unit markings & other small trinkets!

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Galen&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
TomM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Family jeep Reply with quote

Nice work on the family jeep! It's great to see these jeeps alive again with their family memories in the drivers seat. Have fun with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: