Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?
Kaiser Willys carburetor
M38 Parachute Spools
Engine serial number
M38 Body Strainer
USAF Forward Air Controller M38A1 photo

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Stencil spray or brush
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stencil spray or brush

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnissen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Stencil spray or brush Reply with quote

Going to apply the stencils for our M38A1 this weekend. I see an online video showing a brush or roller to apply the white enamel. I was originally going to spray it with a white enamel. Is either method acceptable or one preferred over the other?

Second question... is rattle can flat enamel ok over the OD enamel? I may have to try a test piece to verify compatibility. Last thing I need is the OD paint curling or crazing under the white.
Engine Plate MD85578
Contrived Hood Number 20974784
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've applied them both ways, spray & brush and both can work. It is not so much the application process that should concern you as it is the chemical structure of the paint you are using. The only place to get a really safe accurate assessment of which works with which is from the manufacturer of each paint you wish to use.

Pressurized can, compressor charged air sprayer or airless sprayer makes little difference in compatibility. Method of application affects finish primarily.

No matter how you choose to determine compatibility of the paints, a test panel is always the final assurance prior to mixing paints on your project.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Nic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a small amount of sponge ( like the stuff you use for washing dishes!!!!)
Dipped the flat portion in pant and dabbed it on over the top of the stencil, this method gives a nice finish.

Nic
Beast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on the type of stencils you are using. Paper or oil board stencils that don't stick to the surface to create a seal, work best with brushing or rolling in light coats so that the paint doesn't seep under. If you spray with this type of stencil, you usually end up with soft edges and a lot of blow under from the pressure of the paint spray getting under the stencil. For paint mask set that are made of a decal like material that fully stick to the surface, then you can go either way. I prefer with paint masks to just use cans of the cheap white paint from the hardware store. The key to any of them is to use light coats and build up the layers.

If you want to see a how to for paint masks, you can check out this link from my decals website; http://www.deltateamdecals.com/paint-mask-how-to.html
Delta Team Decals http://www.deltateamdecals.com/
jnissen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. Hopefully will get this knocked out this weekend. Thanks for links.
Engine Plate MD85578
Contrived Hood Number 20974784
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: