Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Fuel pump trouble ? need some help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel pump trouble ? need some help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunnerb17

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump trouble ? need some help Reply with quote

Jeep was running good-Then it just wont start one day.Did some checking on normal items.Ignition,Compression-All ok.Got to fuel pump and it wasnt pumping any fuel.Removed fuel pump(orginal type later style with the priming lever).Disassembled pump and put back together -----It pumps fuel real good when clamped in vise on bench.I installed back on engine and it still doesnt pump.Used suction gun and pulled fuel from gas tank through fuel line to pump no trouble.I had the priming lever pushed down which I believe is correct.I need some help,ideas,etc ------Iam missing something but I dont know what.Thanks in advance
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to ask, what size spacer under the fuel pump where it bolts to the block? To my understanding needs to be a certain size (thickness) depending on if Military or civilian. If not the correct size pump does not work properly... Something to look at...

Sorry cannot remember the correct size. but 9/16" comes to mind...

Hope this helps...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pump passed a thorough inspection using the manual TM 9-1828A and you have not altered or switched the spacer that was between it and the engine then I would check the drive cam on the front end of the cam shaft.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
gunnerb17

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hal and Wes for fast reply.Yes I have the correct spacer somewhere 1/2 inch plus thick. Wes Thanks for great pictures of the fuel pump drive cam.This could very well be the problem and also the most work to repair.I dont know how common it is for it too wear that much but there isnt much else left.Just my luck//////Believe I will try to make a fixture to see how much movement I have .thanks again for the help.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remove the pump and attach a dial indicator to the pump mounting pad and let it's plunger ride on that lobe of the cam. Rotate the engine to determine total lift available at the lobe.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: