Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Gauge Panel
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gauge Panel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocwd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Gauge Panel Reply with quote

I'm in the process of painting my gauge panel. I wasn't going to paint the back but there was an NOS panel on G503 that is painted on the back. I guess I'll paint the back so it looks nice but, are there any grounding issues that I should be aware of if I with paint the back?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resistance type gauges have two ground requirements. One thru the sender to ground to cause the needle to register and one thru it's case to ground to motor the needle. The back of that panel was left mostly bare to insure the gauge housing were grounded thru it to the dash. When I restore these model jeeps I solder a short lead to the back of that panel and use a Douglas connector then run a ground to the dash itself. We all use way to much paint on these restorations.

Water temp & oil pressure senders have very good grounds. The fuel quantity sender ground is only as reliable as the tank's ground and again too much paint on these restos leads to poor grounding. Never forget that all these grounds are useless if they do not lead back to the negative post of the battery.

The panel ground to the dash using the four 1/4 turn fasteners is marginal at best. I suggest you solder a ground lead to your panel and ground the panel by wire to the dash and that you leave a ring of unpainted area on the back side of the panel at each of the 4 small gauge openings that will allow the gauge retainers a good ground contact with the panel. I also add a ground wire from a sender screw on top of the tank to the tub.

Errors in oil pressure and water temp readings are often caused by a missing ground strap on the right engine mount that is there to ground the engine block to the chassis.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ocwd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Gauge Panel Reply with quote

Thank you. I might just leave the back unpainted. There was no paint on it when I pulled the gauges out. I have a few gauge panels. I’ll take a quick look at those as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: